Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's on your Easter menu?

@Noel7 I am thinking we might just go with chicken or turkey, or a beef roast and change up the sides to what we normally have for Easter.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Lipstickdiva

I'm sorry to read you might miss the dinner, someone should save a plate for you.

I found that Easter lamb online and brought it here because it's very like DD's lamb.  Of course I think her's is better Smiley Wink

I saw the lamb and instructions in an old Sunset magazine before she was born.  A Polish tradition, although we are not Polish.  I saved it because of the tradition behind it.  DH used to help her when she was little, now she whips one out fast herself.

The head and body are carved.  The wool is made by pushing softened butter through a wire strainer, then transferring it to the lamb, bit by bit.  Seeds and a peppercorn for the face.

Trusted Contributor

Ham, kielbasa, Mac and cheese, Cole slaw, baked corn, Harvard beets, Brussel sprouts, coconut cake.

Hubs working Easter so we will have supper at my sisters.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Noel7 I am thinking we might just go with chicken or turkey, or a beef roast and change up the sides to what we normally have for Easter.

@CareBears

I like that idea!  Sometimes I do that, too.  It's fun to look through Easter recipes online and come up with new ideas.  Southern Living online always has a lot of new recipes and ideas.

For some reason, I love Southern recipes for Easter.

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Ham, kielbasa, Mac and cheese, Cole slaw, baked corn, Harvard beets, Brussel sprouts, coconut cake.

Hubs working Easter so we will have supper at my sisters.

Hi @Nomorebirthdays

What are Harvard beets?  I haven't heard of them before.  Coconut cake is a classic Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This really does sound classic:

The Menu
  • Apricot-Ginger Glazed Ham.
  • Potato Gratin.
  • Iceberg Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette.
  • Fried Asparagus.
  • Deviled eggs.
  • Butterhorn Rolls.
  • Coconut Cake.
  • Sweet Iced Tea.

Save

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7. Cooked beets in sugar, vinegar, a bit of salt, pepper, butter. Thickened with corn starch. We use our home canned picked beets and just thicken with corn starch, and a lump of butter. The sugar and vinegar are already in them when canned.

I think they came from Harvard University,  I'll have to Google the history.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Hoovermom

I'd love to see your mac recipe, @Hoovermom !  Thank you for offering Smiley Happy

@Noel7:  If you will see my post above, notice the "Here" and that will direct you to the site.  It is a fabulous recipe.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Nomorebirthdays !

I'm thinking maybe they're regional, and they do sound good.  I love beets but I don't know how to do much with them.  I get pickled beet slices in a can and put them on the greens in an entree salad, that's about it.

Honored Contributor

I like to saute fresh green beans and mushrooms with garlic and olive oil.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan