Honored Contributor

We love ham and the only time I make one is for Easter, but I'm always stuck for sides.  I like to try new sides and mix in a few that are traditional.

We love the Pioneer Woman spring pea salad with bacon, and DD always carves an Easter lamb out of butter.  Watermelon pickles, black olives.

What else?  What do other people make?

This looks almost exactly the same as our daughter's Easter lamb:

butter lamb

Honored Contributor

Re: What's on your Easter menu?

@Noel7, baked beans and mac and cheese. All that together is heaven in the tummy for us.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Noel7, baked beans and mac and cheese. All that together is heaven in the tummy for us.

That does sound good, @qualitygal!  I was just wondering about mac and cheese as a side, DH loves it.  OK, we all love it Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Noel7:  If you all love mac and cheese, I have a fabuous recipe which makes even me a non-mac and cheese a believer LOL.  I have made these for dinner parties and it is a hit everytime.  Here.  Since it is for Easter,  maybe a fancier recipe could be used.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 My husband will be working on Easter Sunday, so it will just be me so no special plans, we do try to celebrate the holiday later/earlier in the week and I wanted to serve Kansas City Ham, I have health issues that limit my sodium intake and I find that KC Ham is the ONLY ham that I can eat that does not send me into overdrive with the sodium content, I went to order one the other day and the only KC ham I could find was paired with a Prime Rib Roast and IMO $158.00 + was just not in our budget, they have several of the Smithfield Hams and a Rastelli Ham but not the best of reviews and since I have never tasted them I hate to spend that kind of money on items I might not be able to eat, has anyone ever tried these other 2 brands?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 My sister makes our Easter meal and she serves cheesy scalloped potatoes and fresh green beans cooked with bacon as sides to the Honey Baked Ham. Sometimes she serves some mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter. Other times she adds fresh asparagus (but we have to have the green beans!). I also like a relish plate with fresh celery and spicy radishes. Sister bakes those Pillsbury crescent rolls and gets homemade pies from a local farm market, usually a mixed berry pie and a key lime pie. Oink, oink, yum, yum...Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm not really sure this year.  For Easter we are doing the both sides of the family thing.

On DH's side, they have ham with various breads for a sandwich, pierogies and stuffed cabbage.  Then I think they generally have macaroni salad, corn, deviled eggs and a variety of pickles.

On my side, for the first time we are going to my cousin's house and it will be his wife's side of the family combined with our side and I'm not really sure what the food plan is.  DH and I won't get there until later in the day and I think they will already have eaten.  We're pretty much going just to visit.

@Noel7, that carved butter is gorgeous.  Is that your daughter's actual work?  That brings back so many memories.  When we were little, we always had lamb butter.

I also think mac n cheese would make a great side dish. 

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom

I'd love to see your mac recipe, @Hoovermom !  Thank you for offering Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hi @CareBears Smiley Happy

You're right, I watch my sodium intake also.  I've gotten pretty good at it, no added salt and I skip salty foods.  We got a nice piece of corned beef for St. Patrick's Day but it was SO salty!  I ate one little piece and that was it.

Where would I look for Kansas City ham?  Honestly, I can't even find a real ham anymore, they're all spiraled, which I do not like because the pieces get dried out.

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@Noel7 My sister makes our Easter meal and she serves cheesy scalloped potatoes and fresh green beans cooked with bacon as sides to the Honey Baked Ham. Sometimes she serves some mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter. Other times she adds fresh asparagus (but we have to have the green beans!). I also like a relish plate with fresh celery and spicy radishes. Sister bakes those Pillsbury crescent rolls and gets homemade pies from a local farm market, usually a mixed berry pie and a key lime pie. Oink, oink, yum, yum...Woman Wink

Hi @EdithEllenLily  Nice to meet you Smiley Happy

Your Easter dinner sounds so nice and traditional!  I've always served asparagus, too, and I get a lemon meringue pie.

I love your name!