Honored Contributor

Re: What's for breakfast? Any ideas for easy, healthy and tasty stuff?

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@momtochloe

OMG mtc, I am so very sorry for your loss (((((hugs))))))

I lost my fur baby January of this year.  I miss him SO much.  Mine was a West Highland White Terrior.  It's hard Smiley Sad

Yes, unfortunately those cartons of egg whites are loaded with preservatives and chemicals.  You might see some without any additives, but always keep in mind - they have been processed and don't hold the same nutrient value. 

I know...I hate wasting food, too.  Maybe you know someone that has a dog that would benefit from eating them?  Or you could always feed the wildlife  Smiley Very Happy

Thank you so much @Qshopper1991 and (((hugs))) to you too my friend on the loss of your beloved Westie.  It's funny we are talking about this as just when I think I have finally gotten over her loss earlier today I woke up and it is finally cool enough that I had to grab a blanket that would have been primo weather for her due to her dense coat so both of us were always warm (please know I don't have a dense coat but I do have too much padding) . . . Smiley Happy  Heart

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe

Awwww - you have me in tears - and thank you for your kind words Smiley Happy

Your furbaby was a cutie.  What was her breed if you don't mind me asking?  From the picture, she looks like she was all white, like my Westie.  Lol...yes, my Westie had a double coat, too.  And was nice and toasty on the cool mornings.  Rarely shedded.  I used to bathe him in WEN for pets.  That stuff worked better on him than it did me...lol.  I miss him a lot.  He was my company since my husband left.  I want to get another one, but he's my second Westie and both losses were very, very hard on me.  I don't know if I can go through a third.  Too heart wrenching.  How about you?  Will you eventually get another?

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@momtochloe

Awwww - you have me in tears - and thank you for your kind words Smiley Happy

Your furbaby was a cutie.  What was her breed if you don't mind me asking?  From the picture, she looks like she was all white, like my Westie.  Lol...yes, my Westie had a double coat, too.  And was nice and toasty on the cool mornings.  Rarely shedded.  I used to bathe him in WEN for pets.  That stuff worked better on him than it did me...lol.  I miss him a lot.  He was my company since my husband left.  I want to get another one, but he's my second Westie and both losses were very, very hard on me.  I don't know if I can go through a third.  Too heart wrenching.  How about you?  Will you eventually get another?

Oh thank you so much @Qshopper1991.  She was a Maltese and as the breeder told me she had a gorgeous rosebud face and she wasn't kidding.  She was actually my mom's dog but with two other previous dogs she had a hard time handling all three so she became mine.  She was a sweet, not too bright but very kind furball and she trusted me completely.  Whenever any perceived danger arose she would run directly to me (good choice, I'd kill anything that even looked cross eyes at her) and I so miss her sunny face.

I would love to have another furbaby but unfortunately financially that is just not possible right now . . . hopefully one day when things stabilize I can adopt another dog as I miss having another heartbeat in the house . . . Heart

Again, I am sorry for your losses (both your husband and now your furbaby) . . . hugs to you my friend!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sweet potatoes (steamed)

Soy yogurt/maple syrup dressing

I used Japanese & Hannah sweet potatoes,

two organic varieties I purchased at Whole Foods.

Filling! 

@sidsmom

I like sweet potatoes and yams but never would have thought of eating them for breakfast! Hmmm -- something to think about!  Thanks!! 

@AngelPuppy1

Mashed taters for brekkie?  What could be better?!

Another idea? Cut up some romaine lettuce &

mix with the sweet potato.  The blend of warm sweet creamy

mixed w/ cold, bright crunchy...lovely!  

Or stuff romaine leaves with mashed potatoes &

you have a breakfast-on-the-go. Nice way to get your veggies!

Oh goodness @sidsmom I did not see this coming . . . I love me some sweet potatoes but I would never have thought to pair them with lettuce . . . do you use any particular spices or other toppings/preparations when pairing these two?

@momtochloe

Sweet potato sauces/spices can go sweet or savory.

I've used a sauce of unsweetened soy yogurt/maple syrup (sweet) but

also salsa or even Sriracha (savory)!  Throw some garbanzo beans in the mix & you have a very filling meal w/ little fat, lots of veggies & starches to satisfy you. 

With the holidays coming up, sweet potatoes will be on sale....and we will be in heaven, yes?!   Taters & Leaves...can't beat it!

Honored Contributor

I'm very appreciative of all the tips and suggestions I received!  Really gave me some good ideas.  Thanks so much!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I eat a small container of either icelandic 0 % fat plain yogurt or fat free greek yogurt

I also eat a large egg white omelette--if I have peppers or mushrooms I put them in it. 

I don't eat any "bars" or cereal.  I occasionally eat oatmeal--vanilla flavoring and cinnamon in it.  -only the steel cut oat type--nothing instant.  add some cinnamon and vanilla to your oatmeal!

I also eat spinach often.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sweet potatoes (steamed)

Filling! 

@sidsmom

I like sweet potatoes and yams but never would have thought of eating them for breakfast! Hmmm -- something to think about!  Thanks!! 

@AngelPuppy1

Oh goodness @sidsmom I did not see this coming . . . I love me some sweet potatoes but I would never have thought to pair them with lettuce . . . do you use any particular spices or other toppings/preparations when pairing these two?

@momtochloe

also salsa or even Sriracha (savory)!  Throw some garbanzo beans in the mix & you have a very filling meal w/ little fat, lots of veggies & starches to satisfy you. 

With the holidays coming up, sweet potatoes will be on sale....and we will be in heaven, yes?!   Taters & Leaves...can't beat it!

@sidsmom I truly appreciate your input on this but I still cannot fathom lettuce and my beloved sweet potatoes . . . I think I will hit my local, well stocked salad bar and give your combination a try! . . . Smiley Happy

Actually when you tossed in the garbanzo beans in the mix I started to smell what you are cooking so to speak!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sweet potatoes (steamed)

Filling! 

@sidsmom

@AngelPuppy1

@momtochloe

@sidsmom I truly appreciate your input on this but I still cannot fathom lettuce and my beloved sweet potatoes . . . I think I will hit my local, well stocked salad bar and give your combination a try! . . . Smiley Happy

Actually when you tossed in the garbanzo beans in the mix I started to smell what you are cooking so to speak!

@momtochloe Try it..I guarantee you won't be disappointed!  It's such a common combo. California Rolls/veggie sushi is kinda/sorta the same thing...a raw veg starch mix.  There's a YT gal I follow...she eats the potato/lettuce combo quite often. Eating a plain raw salad is ok, but adding the taters/rice/starch to it makes it much more enjoyable to eat! If you can find, try the Japanese or Hannah sweet potatoes. Yum.

Respected Contributor

I tried that overnight oatmeal thing last night.  More for curiosity than anything else. 1/3 C Regular rolled oats, about a teaspoon of chia seeds, 2 dollops of vanilla greek yoghurt a drizzle of maple syrup and some milk.  mix it up, put it in the fridge overnight and in the A.M. the oats were in fact softened.  Tastes exactly like what I put into it.  Will do it again sometime.

Honored Contributor

My fave breakfast right now,is Ezekiel bread, toasted, with avocado spread on top then a poached egg over that. Very filling and healthy.