Honored Contributor

Re: What's for breakfast? Any ideas for easy, healthy and tasty stuff?

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@momtochloe

Buy fresh eggs.  Stay away from the pourable egg white mixture.  Full of chemicals.

Give the egg yolks to your pup.  Cook them and mix them into his/her food.  They will love you for it and so will their coat!

As for the OP, make a great tasting protein smoothie.  Blend protein powder, fat free milk or low fat (or you could use almond milk, rice milk, etc.), a handful or two of spinich, a fat free yogurt, a banana and some strawberries, flax seed and blend.  Healthy and delicious Smiley Happy

@Qshopper1991

I have never tried smoothies, but this might be something I should look into. Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @AngelPuppy1

Maybe you're reacting to the milk on cereal. 

I have a high fiber cereal from TJoe's every morning with 30 calorie almond milk.

I top it with fresh blueberries which are very healthy, a sliced strawberry and half a sliced banana.

High fiber is so important for us.

@Noel7

Could be??  I got check once for this and it came back negative, but maybe the almond mild would work better.  I will have to try it.  Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Avocado slices on toast with a tiny bit of cheese or cottage cheese on top.  Melt under the broiler if you like!  Salsa or not!  

@Sooner

I never acquired a taste for Avocado though I know it is very good for you.  I might have to try again!!  

Actually I like it just plain, sliced and maybe a little lemon juice and some salt.  Or just salt!  I think it is better than smashed up.  It has sort of a cleaner nutty taste that way.

Esteemed Contributor

AngelPuppy1 I use vanilla yogurt and plain. I use blueberries, strawberries, and berries really. Banana is good also. And with all this in your house your half way to a smoothie. I hope all the ideas here helped you. I got a few new ones myself. 

Honored Contributor

Bread is part of a balanced diet.   I don't eat a sandwich every day.   I try to eat a little of everything, every day.   Try smoothies.   When you make one with some yogurt or ricotta cheese, it can be very filling.   You can make one with fruit & even sneak a little veggie in as well.

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@software wrote:

Sometimes I don't eat breakfast for breakfast.   I have always liked sandwiches any time of day.   I like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for breakfast.  You get your protein & sugar but the protein binds with the sugar in the jelly and does not negatively affect your blood sugar.   But I'm not a doctor, do your own research.

I also like the high protein yogurt with fruit, same reason.

Smoothies are good.  I make mine with fruit & protein, which is yogurt or ricotta cheese.  I would like to recommend those packaged granola-type "bars' but most are full of sugar.

Can't wait to see other answers, it's a good question

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I can't think of what to eat for breakfast!  

I don't want to eat a lot of eggs -- my cholesterol is kind of high!  I love them, but eat them sparingly.

Cereal -- I love it, but for some reason it doesn't love me --- don't know if its the actual cereal or milk or both, but my stomach always gets crampy and yucky feeling after I eat it.

I love oatmeal and eat it quite a bit, but am growing tired of it.

Any ideas for healthy, easy and tasty things to eat for the a.m. meal?

Thanks for all suggestions!!!  

@software

Thanks for your reply!

I try to not eat a lot of bready things.  I find that the more I eat, the more I want.  Maybe it's just me.  I adore bagels and English Muffins but I don't guess they are probably the most nutricious and they don't seem to keep me feeling full.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sweet potatoes (steamed)

Soy yogurt/maple syrup dressing

I used Japanese & Hannah sweet potatoes,

two organic varieties I purchased at Whole Foods.

Filling! 

@sidsmom

I like sweet potatoes and yams but never would have thought of eating them for breakfast! Hmmm -- something to think about!  Thanks!! 

@AngelPuppy1

Mashed taters for brekkie?  What could be better?!

Another idea? Cut up some romaine lettuce &

mix with the sweet potato.  The blend of warm sweet creamy

mixed w/ cold, bright crunchy...lovely!  

Or stuff romaine leaves with mashed potatoes &

you have a breakfast-on-the-go. Nice way to get your veggies!

Valued Contributor

I usually have a (toasted)piece of Ezekiel bread, which is made of sprouted grain.

I believe it is very good for me.

It can be found in the health food freezer section of most supermarkets.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sweet potatoes (steamed)

Soy yogurt/maple syrup dressing

I used Japanese & Hannah sweet potatoes,

two organic varieties I purchased at Whole Foods.

Filling! 

@sidsmom

I like sweet potatoes and yams but never would have thought of eating them for breakfast! Hmmm -- something to think about!  Thanks!! 

@AngelPuppy1

Mashed taters for brekkie?  What could be better?!

Another idea? Cut up some romaine lettuce &

mix with the sweet potato.  The blend of warm sweet creamy

mixed w/ cold, bright crunchy...lovely!  

Or stuff romaine leaves with mashed potatoes &

you have a breakfast-on-the-go. Nice way to get your veggies!

Oh goodness @sidsmom I did not see this coming . . . I love me some sweet potatoes but I would never have thought to pair them with lettuce . . . do you use any particular spices or other toppings/preparations when pairing these two?

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

You are very welcome Smiley Happy

Lots of smoothie recipes online as well.  Just Google and you shall receive a bunch!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe

OMG mtc, I am so very sorry for your loss (((((hugs))))))

I lost my fur baby January of this year.  I miss him SO much.  Mine was a West Highland White Terrior.  It's hard Smiley Sad

Yes, unfortunately those cartons of egg whites are loaded with preservatives and chemicals.  You might see some without any additives, but always keep in mind - they have been processed and don't hold the same nutrient value. 

I know...I hate wasting food, too.  Maybe you know someone that has a dog that would benefit from eating them?  Or you could always feed the wildlife  Smiley Very Happy