Respected Contributor

Re: What's Your Must Have Dish, For Thanksgiving Dinner...

[ Edited ]

@vabreezeYou, too, and you're welcome. 

P.S. Please resist the temptation to add cinnamon lol. Believe me, you won't miss it!

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

@Moonlady thank you for sharing the cranberry sauce recipe.  it is just delicious.  i used 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and omitted the nuts.  so far i've had it on raisin toast and ritz crackers.  with any willpower, there will be some left for the turkey.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Super Contributor

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving at my house without my grandma Nellie's CRANBERRY GRAPE SALAD.  i would eat it for desert instead of pumpkin pie, except I love pumpkin pie, too.  

CRANBERRY GRAPE SALAD

2 #'s fresh/frozen cranberries

1 cup sugar

1/2 # red grapes, cut in half

1 small box gelatin, orange, lemon or cranberry

1/2 cup boiling water

DRESSING

1 small tin crushed pineapple

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tablespoon flour

1 pint whipping cream, whipped

Grind cranberries (I pulse in a food processor) and stir in sugar and grapes.  Soften gelatin in boiling water.  Fold gelatin mixture into fruit, mixing well.  Put mixture into serving dish, cover and chill.

Dressing:  In small saucepan, stir together undrained pineapple, flour, sugar and egg.  Over medium heat, stirring carefully, cook mixture until is is thick.  Set aside mixture and let cool.  Whip cream and gently fold in cooled pineapple mixture.  Put dressing in container, cover and chill.

When serving, top cranberry mixture with a "dab" of whipped dressing. 

As a kid, CRANBERRY GRAPE SALAD was a huge project.  We had to grind the berries in a little metal grinder, which was a huge/sticky mess.  Then the grapes had to be seeded by hand, this was before you could buy seedless grapes.  My grandma would serve this salad to her club ladies as their Thanksgiving or Christmas desert.  YUMM 

Honored Contributor

Cool WHip w/a little Canadian Hunter strirred in for the pie topping.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@mizree I do the same thing! In fact, DH and I both like this even after the holidays, when fresh cranberries are still plentiful. I think the mandarin segments look nice for the holidays, but at other times I run a knife through them before adding, to make for easier spreading.

Wegmans makes a delicious cranberry-orange bread with sugared crust this time of year. Like all of their breads, it freezes beautifully, so we just take slices as needed, toast, and add that cranberry sauce. Same with their 6 or 7-grain bread. Very good!

What worries you masters you.