Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's Your Must Have Dish, For Thanksgiving Dinner...

Must have is dressing and gravy....lots of both. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@YouGoGirl1  Bought the cranberries and oranges today and will make it for Thanksgiving.  Can you please advise approximately how much sugar should be added.  Don't know if 1/2 cup is too little or 1 cup is too much.

Valued Contributor

Coffeedrinker, I would start out with 1/2 cup, the add more

if it isn't sweet enough, it depends on how tart the cranberries are. I hope this helps.

Super Contributor

I like nearly all versions of dressing I've ever had, but my own, with gravy, is my number one must have.  We all make our own favorite - that's the advantage of making your own special dishes.  You make them the way you like them best.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I love all the traditional dishes but mama's cornbread dressing is my favorite. Thankfully, my brother knows how to make hers and he's hosting Thanksgiving this year! If he doesn't host, I don't eat dressing at all...too much of a let-down. I love pumpkin pie but I'm the only one in my entire family that likes it, so we never have it. I can eat leftover dressing right out the fridge the next morning. Hey, wonder if that's why I have thunder thighsWoman LOL

@Carolina925, You better get that recipe from him for that dressing if it is the only kind you will eat. Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@YouGoGirl1 I see you're a relatively new poster.  Welcome. To ensure the person you're responding to sees your post, insert the symbol @ and their name at the beginning or somewhere in your response.  I almost missed your reply.  And thank you for the sugar amount.  Happy Thanksgiving. 

Respected Contributor

Stuffing. More specifically, the stuffing we relied on for decades, and which was discontinued a little over 10 years ago. We all still enjoy stuffing, but it's just not the same.

Cranberry relish, of course, is always a big hit. DH likes it on turkey sandwiches, too. I make mine in the microwave with canned mandarin oranges.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@Moonlady 

In the microwave (I make mine in the microwave with canned mandarin oranges)??!!!!

I love using the slow cooker and  microwave for ease of preparation and shortcuts. Would you share the specifics for making your mwv cranberry relish, please? TIA!! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze wrote:

@Moonlady 

In the microwave (I make mine in the microwave with canned mandarin oranges)??!!!!

I love using the slow cooker and  microwave for ease of preparation and shortcuts. Would you share the specifics for making your mwv cranberry relish, please? TIA!! 

@vabreeze 

Here it is:

ORANGE-CRANBERRY SAUCE

12-oz pkg fresh cranberries, "picked over" and rinsed

11-oz can mandarin oranges, drained--reserve 1/4 cup syrup. Note: I use Dole's because I prefer their syrup, rather than the pear juice other brands are packed in.

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts. (I've used both, but since we usually have walnuts on hand, I go with that.) 

Drain oranges, and reserve 1/4 cup syrup. (Be sure to remove any pits in those orange segments; I occasionally catch one or two.)

In 2-qt microwave casserole, add cranberries, ginger, and reserved 1/4 cup syrup, and microwave, covered, on HIGH for 7-11 minutes. Note: Our microwave is 700 watts, and 9 minutes is perfect. When we've had 900 watts, 9 minutes has been perfect, too. Also, if your microwave casserole cover doesn't have a vent, just place the cover loosely on top and steam will escape.

Stir in mandarin oranges and nuts. Let cool, covered, until cool enough to put in fridge. (Any condensed water which forms on lid can be stirred right into the cranberry sauce.) Chill overnight.

Enjoy!

Just FYI, the original recipe (Tried to post, but got a "file too large" message) said to stir twice during cooking. I did that the first time I made this, and never did it again!

Here's a little history about this. I got it from Consumer Reports about 20 years ago. They were reviewing varieties of canned cranberry sauces, but when it came time for their favorite, it was this one lol. It was their "Editor's Favorite." 

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@Moonlady,

Thanks soooooo much!!!!  I really appreciate the detailed info you provided. 

Happy Thxgiving Day!!!