Respected Contributor

Re: What's Your Must Have Dish, For Thanksgiving Dinner...

[ Edited ]
  • Corn souffle aka a version of Jiffy corn casserole
  • Cornbread stuffng/dressing with craisins and sausage
  • Acorn squash wedges or  circles roasted with honey and cayenne
  • Mashed potatoes, skin on, with gravy
  • Whole cranberry sauce ( no orange peels please]
  • Green bean casserole
  • Broccoli salad
  • Pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake 
  • Oh yeah..roasted turkey
Honored Contributor

@retiredatlast wrote:

Chestnut stuffing with sauted onions and mushrooms mixed in. Some goes in the bird for my son, and the rest in a casserole to get crispy for the rest of us.  Also a yam casserole that I make every year with yams, apples and cranberries with a pecan crumble topping.

Garlic roasted mashed potatoes and turkey gravy, homemade from stock from the turkey giblets and wing tips. I have to make this every year or my kids will disown me........

@retiredatlast 

May I please ask you for your yam, apple, cranberry casserole?  It sounds SO yummy.

Many thanks!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Fresh green beans sauted with shallots in a citrus sauce.

Regular Contributor

@ECBG  I don't have a recipe per se for the yam casserole.  Just kind of made it up myself a long time ago after seeing that the Good Earth restaurant served an apple cranberry pie with walnuts on top during the holidays.  I can't tell you exact measurements but here goes:

I parboil my yams until slightly fork tender, then cut them in fairly large chunks and place them in a greased 9X13 casserole.  I leave space between the chunks and put peeled sliced granny smith apples in between the yams. I scatter fresh (or frozen) cranberries over the top and then sprinkle on the topping.  The topping is a mixture of brown and white sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans.  I dot the top with pieces of butter.  I bake it in a 350 oven covered with foil for about 45 minutes, then take the foil off until it is done- usually another 15 minutes or so.

I have been making this for many years now- my family really enjoys it.  Even the young grandchildren. 

I use the "extra" pecans from the package to make a pecan pie.  This is a Thanksgiving "requirement" for my family as well.

If you make it, I hope your family will enjoy it as muchas mine does.

Respected Contributor

@retiredatlast 

I must try this. It sounds so very delicious. Thanks for putting this together for us here.

Happy Holiday.

Respected Contributor

Cream cheese pecan pie w/ my home made crust.

It's so rich, that I only make this once a year But so worth all the calories and I don't even care for that one day.

Honored Contributor

Just basic things which probably most people have -- mashed potatoes, stuffing and, I have to have deviled eggs!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

My moms Chestnut and sausage stuffing(in the bird). My collard greens and ham hocks and my sweet potato pie!🥧😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I love all the traditional dishes but mama's cornbread dressing is my favorite. Thankfully, my brother knows how to make hers and he's hosting Thanksgiving this year! If he doesn't host, I don't eat dressing at all...too much of a let-down. I love pumpkin pie but I'm the only one in my entire family that likes it, so we never have it. I can eat leftover dressing right out the fridge the next morning. Hey, wonder if that's why I have thunder thighsWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@retiredatlast 

Thank you so much for the recipe.  It looks absolutely delicious!  It would also be good on New Years Day with an herbed pork loin roast.