Honored Contributor

Re: What's Your Go-To Meal/Recipe???

If left alone to my own devices.. I like to make thin spaghetti with an oil and garlic sauce.  It's the easiest thing to make and I just love it... DH hates it, so I only make it once in a blue moon.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

If left alone to my own devices.. I like to make thin spaghetti with an oil and garlic sauce.  It's the easiest thing to make and I just love it... DH hates it, so I only make it once in a blue moon.

@house_cat

My Mum used to love that!  After my Dad passed, when not working I'd go over and cook supper.  I often cook spaghetti, evoo, butter, sprinkle with freshly grinded black pepper and grate with parm/reggiano.  She loved it and often requested it.  Something so easy annd simple and after all these years I can still see the smile and happiness in her eyes, during a sad and lonely time for her!

Funny how food instills so many potent memories - huh!

Contributor

Homemade Goulash or Chili from my freezer!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme

Yes, I hear ya... my dad so loved soup! He could eat it every night if given his way.  He died at 92 and the last couple of years he had a lot of trouble chewing so I made him lots of soup and he'd heat it in the Systema microwave mug.  I don't cry over him often, because he lived a good long life and was ready to go, but guaranteed if I make his favorite soups I'm going to make them with tears in my eyes.

And since you mentioned it, I can make a meal of pasta with butter and parmesan.  As my husband often points out, I'm a "cheap date", lol.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Starch & Veg!

Sweet Potatoes/Broccoli (frozen)

Mashed Potatoes/Carrot-Peas-Corn (frozen)

....but my favorite right now,

Cooked Jasmine rice, boiled w/ lots of water, then blended & poured over

a bed of romaine & blueberries. 

Always have cooked rice & cut up taters in the frig & frozen vegetables in the freezer.  A can of beans added makes it fancy! 

Respected Contributor

A girl after my heart.  Love that dish.  Try sautéing some broccoli and adding it to the dish.  DH loves it too, so we have it often.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but this was in response to Housecat's msg 21.  Still haven't mastered this not so new board.  Don't really like it.  Wish they'd bring back the old Board.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

Sorry, but this was in response to Housecat's msg 21.  Still haven't mastered this not so new board.  Don't really like it.  Wish they'd bring back the old Board.

Just hit the red reply square on the bottom of Housecats post. You will get a blank box, on the top right it will say Quote. Hit that and her post will appear and you type underneath it. You will see a red box that says Post on the bottom right. Hit that to post.

Respected Contributor

I just found this thread. Enjoyed reading the replies.

My go-to quick meal is scrambled eggs, or omelets.

I always have eggs, and cheese, and the vegetable drawer to raid. 

Here are a couple of scrambled egg recipes we like.

Pepperoni and Cheese Scrambled Eggs

Robert Irvine, Food Network

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

1/4 pound beef pepperoni, peeled and thinly sliced (*turkey pepperoni is fine)

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

6 large eggs

1/2 cup whole milk or Half & Half

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

Freshly ground pepper to taste

3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

1 green onion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced on the bias

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepperoni and fry, turning as needed, until crispy around the edges, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; pour off the fat and wipe out the skillet.

Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl; add salt and pepper. Add to the skillet. Cook, running a rubber spatula around the edges and along the bottom to prevent the eggs from sticking, until almost set, 2 to 3 minutes; sprinkle with the cheese, pepperoni and scallion, then cover and remove from the heat to finish cooling, about 1 more minute.

Scrambled Eggs Avocado

Betty Crocker Recipe Card Collection

6 servings

8 eggs

1/2 cup light cream (Half & Half)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 avocado, peeled and cubed (about 1 cup)

2 Tablespoons butter

8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Mix eggs, cream, salt and pepper with fork. (Gently) stir in avocado. Heat butter in skillet over medium heat until just hot enough to sizzle drop of water. Pour egg mixture into skillet. As egg mixture begins to set at bottom and side, lift cooked portion with spatula so that thin, uncooked portion can flow to bottom. Avoid constant stirring. Cook until eggs are thickened throughout but still moist. Sprinkle bacon on eggs.

Super Contributor

Baked spaghetti and Paula Dean's Potato Chip Chicken.

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina