Respected Contributor

Re: What's Your Favorite Pumpkin Recipe?

@AuntG

Ooh...this sounds good too! Please post the recipe!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal - I use 1 cup raisins. Here's my recipe:

3-1/2 c. flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

3 c. sugar

1 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. allspice

2 tsp. cinnamon

4 eggs

1 c. oil

2 c. pumpkin

1 c. raisins

2/3 c. water

Mix dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into greased loaf pans. Bake 1 hr. 15 min. at 300 degrees.

Makes 3 full-size loaves. (And I give each person a wrapped full-size loaf!) Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I make the pumpkin pie from the Bisquick website. The mixture forms it's own crust, so you don't have all of the calories that a tradiitional pie crust contains. It's easy to make and tastes great. I prefer it over other types of pumpkin pies.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @beach-mom, I have it copied and I'll have to try yours this year.  I love the way it smells in the fall. Love to bake. 

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@BirdieGal wrote:

HAPPY FALL!

In honor of today being the first day of fall, let's see what your favorite pumpkin recipe or dish is.

Mine is my sausage pumpkin soup (no it's not sweet) 

Soooooo good!

@BirdieGal

You're soup sounds delicious and different! Would you mind posting the recipe please.Smiley Happy

@BirdieGal, Sausage is the magic word around here for my husband.  Would you please include your pumpkin (sausage) soup?  I'd love that.

Trusted Contributor

Sure! It really is good. One of my family's favorites. It took a bit of convincing to get my husband to try it because he thought it was going to be sweet. We all love it.

16 ounces bulk sausage (Italian or breakfast style. We like mild Italian for this)
1/2 cup onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1-2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped (I mince them finely, but to your preference and I use more like 2 cups)
15 ounces canned pumpkin  ( NOT pie filling)
5 cups low sodium chicken broth (I make mine with Better than Bullion)
1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2&1/2 (I use 1/2&1/2)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water

Over medium heat brown the sausage breaking into small bits. Drain fat. Add the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are cooked. Add the canned pumpkin and the broth, stirring to mix well. Cook at a low simmer for at least 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, sour cream and water. 

You can add salt and pepper to taste as you go. I serve red pepper flakes at the table for those who want a little zip. Nice that way too but I don't add them during cooking because not everyone wants spicy.

Very satisfying soup. Great with just about any bread. DH likes either crusty rolls or beer bread. Son likes corn muffins. Great next day as well. Like most soups. 

Enjoy! 😁🥄

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Forgot to mention...

I really like the sausage in very small bits so while it is cooking I use a potato masher to break it up. I make the mushrooms about the same size as the sausage crumbles. And because it is small, I remove it to a paper towel lined plate to drain it and that works great. 

But make it chunky if you want or anywhere in between.

Valued Contributor

Birdiegal, thanks for the recipe and going to try it very soon!

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@AuntG

Ooh...this sounds good too! Please post the recipe!

Hi @Starpolisher, I've been watching football and just saw your message.

Mix & Pour in a 13x9 greased cake pan:

30 oz. can Libby's Pumpkin Pie 

3 slightly beaten eggs

5oz. can evaporated milk

Crumble & sprinkle on top:

Box of dry yellow cake mix

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 stick melted butter

1 cup chopped nuts, if desired

Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.  My DH loves a scoop of vanilla or pumpkin praline ice cream on the side.

Honored Contributor

I like the pumpkin pie recipe on the side of the Libby can.  I have tried many recipes for pumpkin pie but always come back to that one with the addition of Chinese 5 spice.