Honored Contributor

Tomorrow is the Asian Autumn Moon Festival, having to do with harvest and gathering family together.

My daughter brought home Moon Cakes from Costco the other day, traditional, and is bringing a few others to try from Chinatown today, they're stuffed with different things.  The other day was lotus paste, today is wintermelon, one with nuts and one with other fruit.  This will be fun.

I decided to carry this through to making Asian food tomorrow, I'm planning Vietnamese Banh Mi burgers and a Vietnamese side dish salad.  No doubt with left over Moon Cakes, lol.

I've spent a good deal of time today collecting Vietnamese recipes.  Most are pretty easy and can be healthy.

Anyone else busy with something foody?

Honored Contributor

Re: What's Up With Food Today?

That sounds so good. 

I just made a huge salad with romaine, red onion, bell pepper, scallions, cucumber, tomato, beets, a little 4 bean salad and croutons and served it with homemade green goddess dressing as a first course. Still waiting on the roasted chicken and kielbasa off the grill and I roasted some red potatoes to serve with it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

That sounds so good. 

I just made a huge salad with romaine, red onion, bell pepper, scallions, cucumber, tomato, beets, a little 4 bean salad and croutons and served it with homemade green goddess dressing as a first course. Still waiting on the roasted chicken and kielbasa off the grill and I roasted some red potatoes to serve with it. 

Oh, that does sound good!  I love a big salad with toppings/things mixed in.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Matter of fact, I am. I had a big zucchini, so I made noodles out of it, sauteed it in a bit of olive oil, tossed in chopped scallions and halved grape tomatoes, and in a few minutes added crumbled feta and herby tahini from Trader Joe's. So yummy. Then I realized I'd forgotten about some cauliflower rice from Trader Joe's that was about to get soft. So I made fried rice with cubed Pancetta, frozen peas, and chopped shallots. At the last minute I decided to add some white worcestershire sauce. All very ad lib but was gobbled up with gusto. (Next month, someone will probably say, oh, make that again! But I will have no memory of what I did...do you do that?)

Edited--I just realized how irrelevant this sounds given that you started with the idea of Asian Autumn Moon. Guess I was excited to have invented two yummy things in the same day, and wasn't thinking!

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Matter of fact, I am. I had a big zucchini, so I made noodles out of it, sauteed it in a bit of olive oil, tossed in chopped scallions and halved grape tomatoes, and in a few minutes added crumbled feta and herby tahini from Trader Joe's. So yummy. Then I realized I'd forgotten about some cauliflower rice from Trader Joe's that was about to get soft. So I made fried rice with cubed Pancetta, frozen peas, and chopped shallots. At the last minute I decided to add some white worcestershire sauce. All very ad lib but was gobbled up with gusto. (Next month, someone will probably say, oh, make that again! But I will have no memory of what I did...do you do that?)

Edited--I just realized how irrelevant this sounds given that you started with the idea of Asian Autumn Moon. Guess I was excited to have invented two yummy things in the same day, and wasn't thinking!

It sounds great. The one time I tried making veggie noodles was with a butternut squash and I made a brown butter sauce to go with it. It was so rich I couldn't eat it. I need to experiment more. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KaySD

Oh that sounds wonderful!  I totally understand your excitement about it.  I haven't tried that yet and I really want to, especially with the zucchini Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Noel7...

Boy, what time is the dinner party?  Maybe, we can make it?  Haaaa

It sounds like a wonderful menue.  It will be the perfect day for us to order "Chinese Takeout"...Hum, sounds like a winner...Plus, I won't have to cook. 

Enjoy and have fun with your family.  

Honored Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Noel7...

Boy, what time is the dinner party?  Maybe, we can make it?  Haaaa

It sounds like a wonderful menue.  It will be the perfect day for us to order "Chinese Takeout"...Hum, sounds like a winner...Plus, I won't have to cook. 

Enjoy and have fun with your family.  

Hi @Bellabutterfly  Woman LOL

I totally agree, order Chinese takeout, you have a good reason to!

I'll let you know how the burgers turn out, Vietnamese restaurants around here are known for spectacular sandwiches and soup. 

Have a good day!