Honored Contributor

Re: What's New On The Shelves?

For those who wrongly assume blood clotting must only be due to heart trouble...

Also from the distinguished Mayo Clinic:

"Blood clots form when platelets (blood components) and plasma proteins thicken, forming a semisolid mass. This process may be triggered by an injury or it can sometimes occur inside blood vessels that don't have an obvious injury.

Once these clots form, they can travel to other parts of your body, causing harm. Factors and conditions that can cause troublesome blood clots, as well as serious conditions that are associated with blood clots, include:"

1. Antiphospholipid syndrome
  2. Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis
  3. Certain medications, such as oral contraceptives and hormone therapy drugs
  4. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
  5. Factor V Leiden
  6. Family history of blood clots
  7. Heart arrhythmias (heart rhythm problems)
  8. Heart attack
  9. Heart failure
  10. Obesity
  11. Peripheral artery disease
  12. Polycythemia vera
  13. Pregnancy
  14. Prolonged sitting or bed rest
  15. Pulmonary embolism (blood clot in an artery in the lung)
  16. Smoking
  17. Stroke
  18. Surgery

Honored Contributor

I was injured in an accident late last year.  My right leg stayed swollen and painful, so when I was in the hospital with the flu, they did a sonogram on the leg, looking for a blood clot.

Thankfully, there wasn't one, but the danger is that a clot like that can travel to other parts of your body and become a real risk.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A blood clot in the leg was exactly what my husband suffered.  Probably aggravated by driving for hours nonstop, repeatedly,  from Northern VA to North Carolina and Georgia while both his stepmother and sister were dying.  Also sitting too long at his computer at work on a regular basis.

Eventually, that clot broke free and went to his lung. 

Diet had nothing to do with it.  Then tests indicated he has a blood factor that promotes clotting anyway.  He now has a filter to prevent any more clots from traveling to his lungs.

This has been going on for about 10-15 years.  It's not new and certainly not due to any heart problem.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

A blood clot in the leg was exactly what my husband suffered.  Probably aggravated by driving for hours nonstop, repeatedly,  from Northern VA to North Carolina and Georgia while both his stepmother and sister were dying.  Also sitting too long at his computer at work on a regular basis.

Eventually, that clot broke free and went to his lung. 

Diet had nothing to do with it.  Then tests indicated he has a blood factor that promotes clotting anyway.  He now has a filter to prevent any more clots from traveling to his lungs.

This has been going on for about 10-15 years.  It's not new and certainly not due to any heart problem.

Hi @novamc1

I'm so sorry your husband has gone through all that.  It had to have hurt like a son of a gun, too. 

I don't know why someone would assume a clot is about heart trouble, there are so many other reasons why.