Esteemed Contributor

Re: What makes your stuffing special...

@ChiliPepper, yes!  Makes sense.  Close to the border.  Thanks!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@RespectLife@straykatz, yes, you can find it in any grocery store in near the spices.  LM

PS, Where is NF, USA.  If you said NF, Canada I would think you meant Newfoundland.

@Lilysmom

LOL !  I'm sorry, I should have spelled it out!  @ChiliPepper is correct.

Niagara Falls

I'm in between Niagara Falls and Buffalo, near Lake Ontario.  So I have plenty of bridges to choose from to go to Canada!  DH has some favorite golf courses on your side as well.

Im going to remember that spice!

Honored Contributor

About  turkey, stuffing, dressing, remember apples in the turkey's cavity, the amount depends on the size of the bird, keeps the turkey moist.  That's all I'm sayin'.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

That it's simple (not a lot of stuff in it), it's not dry nor wet. It doesn't overpower anything but compliments the other foods while still tasting wonderful.

I use a recipe that's been in my family since the early 1800's; hasn't been changed in any way and those that don't care for stuffing/dressing always love it. I've tried many others and majority of the time.... ew.

Sahmlam, won't you pretty-please share your recipe?

Just made dressing for chicken and used the classic recipe from fine cooking:

(I did not deviate from any of the ingredients, which is very unlike me.) This turned out very well!

• 1/4 lb. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
  • 3 cups chopped onion
  • 2-1/2 cups chopped celery, including leaves
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage or 1-1/2 tsp. dried 
  • 1-1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1-1/2 tsp. dried
  • 2 tsp. celery seeds
  • Pinch of grated nutmeg
  • Pinch of ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt 
  • 1-lb. loaf good-quality white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (10 to 12 cups), stale or lightly toasted
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup homemade or low-salt chicken broth, milk, or dry white wine
  • Turkey stock or homemade or low-salt chicken broth as needed

Super Contributor

Respectlife wrote:

Lilysmom wrote:

@Respectlife@straykatz, yes, you can find it in any grocery store in near the spices.  LM

PS, Where is NF, USA.  If you said NF, Canada I would think you meant Newfoundland.

@Lilysmom

LOL !  I'm sorry, I should have spelled it out!  @ChiliPepper is correct.

Niagara Falls

I'm in between Niagara Falls and Buffalo, near Lake Ontario.  So I have plenty of bridges to choose from to go to Canada!  DH has some favorite golf courses on your side as well.

Im going to remember that spice!

For those who may still be confused as to where Niagara Falls is on the U.S. side, it's in New York.  Not nitpicking, hopefully not insulting anyone's intelligence, just sayin'.  :-)  I have relatives in that part of the U.S.  

I had never heard of summer savory, so I Googled it.  I'm still not sure if it's available in the U.S.  However, it might be, if Penzey's listing for "savory" is the same thing.  Since we can't include product links to other sites, you'd have to look up Penzey's site, and then search for, "savory."  If it's not the same as summer savory, my apologies.  

Esteemed Contributor

HTH.  Googles comparison.  I use summer savory in tomato based sauces.  LM

Savory
Most seasonings involving savory use summer savory. Summer savory is a kind of mint that is easy to grow and can reach 18 inches in height. It has purple, white or pink flowers, and it blooms as an annual. As a spice, it has a delicate flavor and is commonly used for lighter dishes involving vegetables, eggs and fish. It is also a popular seasoning for cheese, beans and pea soups. Summer savory goes especially well with tomatoes. In herb mixes, summer savory acts as a unifying flavor, helping to blend all the tastes together evenly. It is most commonly bought ground, but it can also be used fresh as a minty garnish.

Summer savory complements tomatoes particularly well.

Winter Savory
Winter savory is a perennial shrub commonly used to line paths in gardens; its woody shoots grow up to 12 inches tall. It has delicately colored flowers like the summer savory's. As a spice, it is not used raw or as a garnish, but rather is cooked into strongly flavored foods. It is used most often as a seasoning for meats and thick stews. Like summer savory, it is most easily available dried and ground; a purchaser should assume that a jar of spices simply labeled "savory" is summer and not winter savory.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

HTH.  Googles comparison.  I use summer savory in tomato based sauces.  LM

Savory
Most seasonings involving savory use summer savory. Summer savory is a kind of mint that is easy to grow and can reach 18 inches in height. It has purple, white or pink flowers, and it blooms as an annual. As a spice, it has a delicate flavor and is commonly used for lighter dishes involving vegetables, eggs and fish. It is also a popular seasoning for cheese, beans and pea soups. Summer savory goes especially well with tomatoes. In herb mixes, summer savory acts as a unifying flavor, helping to blend all the tastes together evenly. It is most commonly bought ground, but it can also be used fresh as a minty garnish.

Summer savory complements tomatoes particularly well.

Winter Savory
Winter savory is a perennial shrub commonly used to line paths in gardens; its woody shoots grow up to 12 inches tall. It has delicately colored flowers like the summer savory's. As a spice, it is not used raw or as a garnish, but rather is cooked into strongly flavored foods. It is used most often as a seasoning for meats and thick stews. Like summer savory, it is most easily available dried and ground; a purchaser should assume that a jar of spices simply labeled "savory" is summer and not winter savory.

@Lilysmom

Oh boy!  Now for sure I have to cross the bridge and get me some!!

Thank you for the info!  SO interesting and helpful to know....maybe a field trip for the day after Thanksgiving since you SURE won't find me shopping here on Black Friday!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife, I love the smell of it.  When I grind it before adding to recipes the scent is heavenly.  You probably will not find this at Walmart.  Go to a major grocery store.  Enjoy.  LM

Honored Contributor

I admire those of you who make sourdough bread!  I am about 110% sure that I will never do that, but I like a good SF sourdough and it's getting more difficult, the last 2-3 years, to find ones that aren't sliced.    The unsliced round loaves are just better than the ones that somebody else sliced.   Don't ask me why.  I have no idea.  But it's true.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have always made my family's traditional stuffing, nothing overwhelming in the flavor but just right with gravy.

toasted white bread in pieces

eggs

chicken or turkey broth

onions and celery sauteed in butter

sage and poultry seasoning, salt

We love it!