Honored Contributor

Re: What makes your stuffing special...

I usually make my stuffing from scratch but I bought Marie Callendars corn bread stuffing  mix and added some of the bread cubes I bought in a bag along with the celery, onions, carrots, chanterell mushrooms and seasonings, added butter to the chicken stock and cooked that in the veggies then added it to the bread and it was very good. Made enought to stuff a flank steak for dinner last night and put a bowl full of it in the freezer for turkey day. Never have had cornbread stuffing before. Was very tasty.

Respected Contributor

Lol I guess it's special because it's simple. I never stuff the turkey, but we always had it on the side. And talk about nostalgia...Kellogg's croutettes was the best. Sadly, it eas discontinued 7 or 8 years ago, and it's taken almost that long to find a substitute.

Thankfully, more is less with us. Some people put everything but the kitchen sink in theirs, but we like ours on the plain side. That said, I've NEVER passed up anyone's stuffing. I love the stuff!

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Keeper of the koi I never liked stuffing until I made this recipe, I add apples and raisins so moist and simply delicious!

Valued Contributor

I add a loaf of brioche along with the other bread I use.  I think the brioche adds a noticeable richness.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Regular Contributor

Amazon dot com has several sellers with Summer Savory, both chopped and ground. The chopped has quite a bit of stems-grinding at home really helps.

Homemade My Way is one seller who provides some interesting information:

The very name of this herb bespeaks flavor, and in fact, summer savory (Satureja hortensis) imparts a delicious taste to almost any dish the gourmet prepares. In medieval times it was added to pies and cakes for a touch of spiciness; today it's primarily used in soups, stews, and marinades, and with meats and vegetables. Although it's often referred to as "the bean herb"—being especially good with string beans, limas, navy beans, soybeans, and all types of broad bean—savory goes well with many other vegetables, such as cabbage, tomatoes, green peppers, asparagus, cauliflower, mixed greens, and rice. The versatile herb is also tasty in stuffing’s, sausages, and pork pie, and with chicken, fish, game meats, beef, lamb, and eggs (try it in scrambled eggs or omelets). Boiled with strong smelling foods like broccoli or sauerkraut, it helps prevent cooking odors. Steeped in vinegar or salad dressing, it lends an aromatic flavor. People on low-sodium diets may even find it an agreeable salt substitute. Ground savory will result in a smoother texture and offers a way to ensure a savory essence for a smooth sauce. Three-quarters of a teaspoon of ground savory is equivalent to one teaspoon of dried savory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In terms of stuffing/dressing, blesed to have my DH, a former professional Cook, who whipped up our entire Turkey Day spread, including the dressing, (not cooked inside the bird, which would be stuffing).

The usual fresh thyme, sage,onions and celery. Some Poultry Seasoning, chicken base, kosher salt, pepper and butter. Both breakfast and sweet Italian sausage plus 2 kinds of cubed, dried bread: King's Hawaiian, (aka Portuguese Sweet Bread) and Raisin Cinnamon bread.  Simply amazing!

Thanksgiving 018.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put sausage and cranberries in it.

Honored Contributor

@straykatz Hi another Canadian in the USA.What are your favourite Canadian things that you can't buy here?We used to miss do much stuff and stock up when we went to visit but now it has been do long that I have forgotten what I missed and have adapted.The one thing I still buy is tenderflake to make my pie crust...can't make a good one without it.

Respected Contributor

Stovetop! 

Respected Contributor

It's my mom's recipe. Always stuffed inside the turkey. I never realized how good it was until I was in high school and some of our classmates had leftover Thanksgiving dinner at our house and raved over it. Since then, many people have asked for the recipe.  I've eaten different recipes for both stuffing and dressing over the years and like most all of them but for me and my family my mom's sausage and chestnut stuffing is still the best! Smells great too! ( like Thanksgiving is suppose to smell to me)and reminds me of mom and growing up - which makes it extra special to me!🍗🍴😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

A little off the subject....Years ago when my daughter was real small out of the blue (not during the holidays) she wanted to know if I could cook some of those little square things with green dots.  We hadn't had them for a long time.  I had one heck of a time figuring out what she wanted.  LOL  I finally did.