Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite pumpkin pie filling recipe?

@ECBG To me the least offensive is the one on the can.  And to help that, LOTS of good whipped cream (real--hand whipped) with a little "flavor" (rum?  Bourbon? Vanilla for the kiddies) in it. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG To me the least offensive is the one on the can.  And to help that, LOTS of good whipped cream (real--hand whipped) with a little "flavor" (rum?  Bourbon? Vanilla for the kiddies) in it. 

@Sooner Kahula!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG OH THANKS!  That would be even better to help kill the pumpkin taste!  Woman Embarassed  Might even make me say "More please!" 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG OH THANKS!  That would be even better to help kill the pumpkin taste!  Woman Embarassed  Might even make me say "More please!" 

@Sooner LOVE pumpkin pie!  Do something different.  Sweet potato pie?  Old Fashioned Egg Custard?  Or go for a Baked Alaska!

Honored Contributor

I’m in the process of doing dessert trials so I can choose one to take along on Thanksgiving.  Yesterday’s was the Keto Pumpkin Pie With Streusel Topping recipe from the That Low Carb Life website.  It’s pretty darn good. A serving is 1/8 of the pie and is an adequate amount to satisfy.  Now it’s a toss up between this and a keto coconut cream pie that I love. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

I like my Mom's recipe.  She always let it sit in the bowl overnight in the refrigerator before pouring into pie crust and baking:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/8 tsp cloves

3 beaten eggs

15-oz can pumpkin puree

1 1/4 cup evaporated milk

Whisk sugar, brown sugar, flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in big bowl.  

In smaller bowl, beat eggs, pumpkin puree, and milk.  Whisk into dry ingredients.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to blend spices.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg    I like @aroc3435  recipe.  I always make a plain pumpkin pie but add a streusel topping (I don't use a recipe) and that's what gets the wows and makes it super special.  I add chopped pecans and serve with whipped cream if course.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

You know how it is when you grow up with a dish made the way your mom did it? That's the way it's supposed to taste!

Such was my mom's pumpkin pie.

I can't find her recipe, but she used a beaten egg white or two, and folded them into her pumpkin mixture.

When the pie baked, it had a pleasing, slightly darker 'skin' on the top of the pie.

The 1st time I ever tasted the typical Libby's pie, I thought it was just awful; too thick, heavy and almost gelatinous.

Oddly enough, the Libby's recipe is now what I'm used to, and is the one I make.

If I ever find my mom's recipe, I'll try it and compare the 2! 

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I know Libby has their original on the can but also has an updated version that uses Eagle Brand milk and a few other changes...a friend has made it and finds it richer but much too sweet. If you don’t want to bake at all, I high.y recommend the pumpkin pie at Costco. It is huge and is $5.99 and tastes better than homemade IMO.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I know Libby has their original on the can but also has an updated version that uses Eagle Brand milk and a few other changes...a friend has made it and finds it richer but much too sweet. If you don’t want to bake at all, I high.y recommend the pumpkin pie at Costco. It is huge and is $5.99 and tastes better than homemade IMO.

I have friends who eat a slice of Costco's pumpkin pie every day for breakfast as long as it is available.......