Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite pumpkin pie filling recipe?

I have never found one I liked better than the recipe on the Libby's can.  I make it as is but I add a little Chinese 5 spice.  

Super Contributor

Another vote for Libby's with one modification.  Rather than the ground ginger I grate a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger root.

When I whip the cream to serve on top I add a little powdered sugar and vanilla.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
I know Libby has their original on the can but also has an updated version that uses Eagle Brand milk and a few other changes...a friend has made it and finds it richer but much too sweet. If you don’t want to bake at all, I high.y recommend the pumpkin pie at Costco. It is huge and is $5.99 and tastes better than homemade IMO.

I have friends who eat a slice of Costco's pumpkin pie every day for breakfast as long as it is available.......

If I had a Costco located closer to my home I could do the same thing.

Honored Contributor

I have never been very fond of pumpkin pie except this one made by my mother.  I am including recipe as she wrote it making crust too.  I would probably take a short-cut and buy ready-made crust.

PUMPKIN PRALINE PIE

Crust....Combine 1 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup Crisco plus 1 Tablespoon...add 2 Tablespoons water.  Roll out and put in 9" pie pan....set aside.  Preheat oven to 450.

Combine....1/3 cup packed light brown sugar

1/3 cup chopped pecans

2 tablespoons melted butter

Press firmly into bottom of pie shell.  Bake 10 minutes...set aside and lower oven temperature to 325.

Combine.....1 1/2 cups pumpkin

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Add to above and mix all together....

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1 1/2 cups milk (not fat-free)

1/2 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk

(Eagle Brand)

Pour into pie shell....bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes until knife comes out clean in center.

Add some whipping cream on top, if desired. 

Respected Contributor

I really like Mary Beth Roe's Impossible Pumpkin Pie. It came on the back of QVC's holiday card in the Fall of 2002. I like it because you don't make a pie crust, the custard forms a skin (similar to what forms on top of pudding if you don't cover it). Since I don't usually eat the crust on cream or custard pies, this eliminates the waste.

MARY BETH'S "PUMPKIN IMPOSSIBLE PIE"

Ingredients

1/2 cup baking mix (Bisquick)

4 eggs

15 oz. can pumpkin

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

2 cups milk

1 cup sugar

In addition, I add:

1/8 tsp. ground cloves

1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper (you don't taste this in the custard)

1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease and flour a pie pan (I use a 10" ceramic one).

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for 3 minutes (or use an electric mixer on high).

Pour mixture into the pie pan.

Bake for 1 hour. 
Cool and refrigerate.

Serve with whipped cream. 

This slices like a pie with a crust as long as you generously grease and flour the pan.

Respected Contributor

OP here!  I thank everyone for sharing their recipes; I have some delicious ones from which to choose!

Super Contributor

I am a retired first grade teacher and I used to provide a Thanksgiving feast for my students.  The last few years, I purchased pumpkin and apple pies at Costco and scooped out servings with an ice cream scoop.  There were enough for 30 students, the custodian, and office staff.  The pumpkin was as tasty as the ones I made and saved me a good deal of time.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I always use the Libby's, but don't use the nutmeg or cloves, just cinnamon. I'm not big on a lot of spices.

My mother-in-law made her pumpkin pie using only cinnamon.  I was raised on the Libby's can one and, I must say, I came to love it with only the cinnamon!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG To me the least offensive is the one on the can.  And to help that, LOTS of good whipped cream (real--hand whipped) with a little "flavor" (rum?  Bourbon? Vanilla for the kiddies) in it. 

@Sooner Kahula!Smiley Happy

@ECBG OH THANKS!  That would be even better to help kill the pumpkin taste!  Woman Embarassed  Might even make me say "More please!" 

@Sooner