Respected Contributor

What is your favorite pumpkin pie filling recipe?

[ Edited ]

I just made the Libby pumpkin pie filling (recipe from back of can), and it was good.  But is there a better one?  My trusty early 80's Better Homes and Gardens cookbook has a recipe that calls for 5 oz. of evaporated milk, regular milk, and 3 eggs instead of 2, so I'm wondering how it would be.  I also clipped a recipe out of Taste of Home magazine that calls for sweetened condensed milk and is sponsored by McCormick spices.  I'll link the three recipes below for your perusal.  My mom has dementia, and at 92, doesn't remember what recipe she used.

Libby recipe:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22755/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/ 

Better Homes and Gardens recipe:
https://www.bhg.com/recipe/pies/traditional-pumpkin-pie/ 

McCormick recipe with condensed milk:
https://www.mccormick.com/recipes/dessert/signature-pumpkin-pie 

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite pumpkin pie filling recipe?

[ Edited ]

Is there a difference? I have always used the Libbys recipe with much success. If there is a better one, I would like to see it. Oh geez, just saw the links for the others--will check them out --Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg   I don't think you can go wrong with the good old reliable Libby's recipe but here is one that I am going to try--but not for Thanksgiving--can't disturb tradition on that special day.

My mother did not bake so she used Mrs. Smith's frozen pie or one from the local bakery.  When I took over I relied on the aforementioned Libby's recipe.  

Ginger Streusel Pumpkin Pie

Taste of Home, RDA Enthusiasts Brands, 2018

Pages 148 to 149

Pie Filling:

3 large eggs

1 15 oz can solid pumpkin

1 & 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 & 1/2 Tsps ground cinnamon

1/2 Tsp salt

1/4 Tsp ground allspice

1/4 Tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 Tsp ground cloves

Use a purchased refrigerated pie crust for a 1 crust 9 inch pie (or make your own favorite pie crust.)

Then in a large bowl whisk eggs, pumpkin, cream, sugars, cinnamon, salt, allspice, nutmeg and cloves.  Pour this mixture into pie crust and bake 40 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

Streusel Topping:

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup cold butter, cubed

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger

Combine the the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.  Stir in walnuts and ginger.  Gently sprinkle over filled pie.  Bake 15 to 25 minutes longer until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean.

My notes:  The streusel topping in the picture they posted shows it being fairly large crumbles rather than a fine streusel.

Hope you enjoy this.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

I always use the Libby's, but don't use the nutmeg or cloves, just cinnamon. I'm not big on a lot of spices.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all the replies!  It is interesting to hear what fillings people prefer.  @aroc3435 , that recipe sounds so delish!  It is similar to the Better Homes and Gardens recipe in that it has 3 eggs.  Your recipe intrigues me, because it has brown and white sugar, which would give it more depth of flavor and also has all heavy cream, which would make it rich.  Even without the streusel (which sounds delicious btw), I'll bet that filling would be good.

Respected Contributor

My favorite, now, is the one from my bakery Woman Wink.  But, I made many a fine pie, with Libby's in the past.  With enough fresh whipped cream, there's rarely a bad pumpkin pie.  One of my fav's, btw.  

Honored Contributor

Eagle Brand recipe. REMEMBER!! it must be sweetened condensed milk.

Valued Contributor

Libby's pumpkin pie (not the all-in-one) recipe.

I have tried many other recipes with pumpkin pie and DH said "why mess with perfection?"  

https://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/recipes/libby-s-famous-pumpkin-pie/

***I always have to add my own touch so I do add just a pinch of nutmeg.

Respected Contributor

Well there was a time when I would make pumpkin pies, but I have to admit I just don't anymore. A few days ago I was shopping at Sam's, and found a Pumpkin Cheesecake, and as you know when you see something you are interested in you best go for it because it will be gone. Its in my freezer and I'm saving it for Thanksgiving dinner.The thing weighs close to five pounds hope its as good as it sounds and looks. The pie recipes that have been posted sound fantastic.

Honored Contributor

I use the recipe on the back of the Libbys pumpkin can. 

I didn't like the mix of spices in the prepared Libby's Pumpkin Pie Filling.