Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite homemade soup

@VaBelle35 wrote:

All of Ina Garten's soups are wonderful and a meal in themselves.

These are the 2 I make over and over again.  They both freeze very well.

These recipes make enough for an army, so I always cut them in half and still have plent to freeze. The corn chowder, I cut down to 1/4 of the recipe because it just makes so much.  The corn chowder is from her first book which were recipes from her catering business, so all of those recipes have a lot of servings.

Rich Beef Barley Soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rich-beef-barley-soup-recipe-2041687

Cheddar Corn Chowder

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/cheddar-corn-chowder

@VaBelle35  I will have to try the Beef Barley!

My fave soup to make is the Tuscana Olive Garden Soup. I use the recipe from a book of copy cat recipes of restaurant foods.

Respected Contributor

I'll be making this soup this week as we're having turkey tomorrow - not low-cal but totally delicious!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/after-thanksgiving-turkey-soup

Denise
Honored Contributor

I love all soup. I make a Greek lemon soup that is to die for, in my pressure cooker. Also a kielbasa and cabbage one too.

Valued Contributor

@wagirl... 

My very favorite soup is Greek Lemon Chicken/Rice.... I would love your pressure cooker recipe.  I always make my soup in the pressure cooker.  Is yours creamy?

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Respected Contributor

@wagirl & @Chicagoan, I'd like that Greek Lemon Chicken/Rice recipe too!

I know I'm way late to this thread, but my favorite soup to make is Fennel & Italian Sausage Minestrone. It's fantastic, and is always enjoyed by everyone.

Topped w/ freshly grated Parm & served w/ a thick piece of buttered bread, it's TDF! 

As far as ingredients go, everything is 'OPTIONAL'. If you don't have it, or don't like it, don't use it....though I do urge you to use the fennel. It's just a subtle addition, but makes a difference. I often add leeks, thinly sliced.

Fennel & Italian Sausage Minestrone Soup

INGREDIENTS:

• fruity olive oil
  • 1/2 - 1​ pound sweet Italian sausage, skinned and crumbled
  • 1 coarsely chopped fennel bulb
  • ​1 large onion, chopped
  • ​1-2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (or mince w/ a chef's knife, cupping one hand above so they don't fly around everywhere) VERY OPTIONAL!
  • 2 fat garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
  • 2 quarts chicken stock, or more
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, rubbed between your palms
  • ​2-​3 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise, seeded w/ a spoon, then sliced into half moons
  • 1 summer squash, prepared same as above zucchini
  • 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, or tomatoes in tomato purée
  • 1 can white beans
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed, shredded fresh basil, or more
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cooked elbow macaroni or ditalini

Your favorite Parmesan, Romano, etc.

DIRECTIONS:

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot. Over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, breaking it up until well browned. Drain the fat, leaving some behind, scoop out sausage & set aside.

Place pot over medium heat, swirl in some more olive oil, then add the fennel, onion, celery ​& crushed fennel seeds. (leeks too, if using) Cook, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic & stir till fragrant.

Add​ the cooked sausage back, the cabbage, chicken stock, Italian seasoning & stir. Bring to a boil, then lower heat let simmer gently for about 2​0 minutes w/ lid slightly ajar.

When all is soft, remove lid & add carrots, simmer 5 minutes, then add zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes/purée, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon and the white beans. ​Taste & add more Italian seasoning, if desired.

Simmer all until tender.

Turn off heat, add fresh basil & season with salt & pepper.

*While soup is simmering, cook the pasta separately, and add to each bowl when ready to serve. Pour soup over pasta, and top with lots of Parmesan cheese.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@m0rgan

I made this soup today.  It is delicious.  I used the coconut milk option.  Thanks for posting it.

Honored Contributor

chicagoan--oh yes it is very creamy and lemony. Will post the recipe when I locate it. I used to cook for my brother and that was one of his SO faves!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on my mood and the weather. At this time of year, I get in the mood for rich ham and bean soup. I never had it when I was growing up, so when the cook in our sorority house made it for lunch on a cold winter day, I was hooked. It was new to me and soooooooo good. I used to soak the beans the night before, but now I cheat and use the jars of great northern beans.  This is on my mind because I'm making a big pot of this tomorrow so that I can save some for us and also take some to my mother and my aunt. Yum. Also making a big pan of cornbread to share.

Regular Contributor

@wagirl  I am anxiously awaiting the Greek lemon soup recipe too!  Sounds wonderful.

I love many soups for my faves lately are butternut squash, potato brocolli, anything with lentils, and Giada's white velvet soup (fennel is a key ingredient and very hard to find where I live unfortunately).  I love warm and creamy soups.  Oh and any of the Tuscan soups with kale or spinach!   I have to make soup this week, it's freezing here!

Respected Contributor

@indiepup, do you happen to have a Trader Joe's nearby? They always have fennel bulbs, & sell 'em in a 2-pack.

Muddling through...