Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite homemade soup

[ Edited ]

I make vegetable beef soup.  I simmer chunks of roast and add my own beef stock and V-8 juice.  Then I add onions, fresh tomatoes, fresh corn, okra, fresh green beans and carrots.  Often boc choy or celery and simmer.  (hardly any starch).

Since potatoes become mealy when refrigerated, I cook some fresh potato chunks and pour the soup over it.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Yum ! They all sound good. We have finally had real winter weather and soups and stews are just right. 

One of my favorites is Pozole. DH & I love hominy. I deviate from the classic by usually using pork loin chunks and not too heavy on the peppers, but enough to know what it is. I especially like this if I feel a cold coming on .

I also prefer pork in my Pozole:

3 dried ancho chiles

8 cups chicken broth

2 pounds boneless country-style ribs

3 tbsp vegetable oil

3 15-ounce cans white hominy, rinsed and drained

2 chopped onions

5 minced garlic cloves

1 tbsp dried oregano

1 tbsp lime juice

Bake chiles on baking sheet for 6 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove stems and seeds when cool.  Mix with 1 cup broth in bowl cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes.  Let stand until softened for 10-15 minutes.

Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper.  Heat 2 tbsp oil in Dutch oven on medium-high until smoking.  Cook pork until well-browned (about 10 minutes), then place on plate.  Cook hominy in same pot until begins to darken, stirring constantly, then place in bowl.

Cook onion in Dutch oven in 1 tbsp shimmering oil on medium heat until softened.  Stir in garlic.  Puree onions and chiles in blender and put in Dutch oven.  Stir in 7 cups broth, pork, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low and cover, simmer until meat is tender (1-1 1/2 hours).

Remove pork to plate, add hominy and cover, and simmer for 1/2 hour.  Skim fat from broth and shred pork.  Put meat back into pot and heat throroughly.  Add lime juice off heat.      

@deepwaterdotter  This sounds so good.  I htink I may try it with ham! 

Trusted Contributor

sounds yummy, I'm taking notes

yum

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Esteemed Contributor

I save the Trader Joe's brined turkey carcass from Thanksgiving, pack it all up and freeze it.  Then a few weeks later, place it in a stock pot with water, herbs and 1 qt of low salt chicken stock, then let it simmer until the remainder of the meat is falling off.  Remove carcass to a large cutting board or plastic cutting sheet and remove any remainging meat to a bowl.  Remove meat from liquid from stock pot and add to meat in the bowl.  Remove bay leaves from stock pot.  Remove carcass to trash.  Place meat back into stock pot, along with: 3/4 c. pearl barley, 1/2 c. long grain rice, 2 carrots (rough chop into squares), 2 parsnips (rough chop into squares), 3 small or 2 medium onions chop med-fine, 2 cloves garlic smashed and cut through several times.  Place large saute pan on medium high heat, then add 1 Tbs safflower oil and 1 Tbs butter, immediately followed by vegetables.  Saute until onion begins to become transparent.  Dump into stock pot. 

Turn stock pot heat on medium high and watch pot until it starts to bubble a bit, then turn down and simmer for 45+ minutes.  Additional herbs may be added, before the heat is applied to the stock pot.  When rice and barley are done, you may add a slurry of arrowroot, if you prefer a bit of thickener.

Serve as is or with a small salad and slices of soughdough bread.

(This makes up about 3 quarts of soup for us.  This year, my husband and I had it for dinner one night and me for one lunch, then our DD, SIL and GD all got rather bad cases of strep throat, so I sent all of the remainder soup over their way.  Received many thank yous and blessings, as they all had swollen throats and could hardly swallow anything, but this soup did make it down.  Now I want to go to TJs to see if they have any of these terrific turkeys left!)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  You are a cook 'after my own heart'.  This soups sounds yummy and I bet the kitchen smells heavenly

Honored Contributor

Oddly (what else is new!), while I do like numerous types of soups, I've never really been much for making soups.   But my split pea with ham soup is very good.

Otherwise, it's stews or chilis that I've done mostly.   I still have a couple servings of split pea and some servings of turkey chili in the freezer from a few years ago.  Of course, they are vacuum-sealed otherwise they would not still be good.   

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@sfnative  You are a cook 'after my own heart'.  This soups sounds yummy and I bet the kitchen smells heavenly

@deepwaterdotter

Thank you, deepwaterdotter.   So many people just throw away the carcass with all the goodies still clinging to it!  So much wonderful stuff to cook out of it.  I like to do the same with 2 of those rotisserie chickens from the market.  Those make great soup as well.

Happy New Year!

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt

Will you post your split pea soup recipe.  I'd like to try it.  Thanks

Honored Contributor

I pretty much never make soup but when I do it's split pea soup in the InstantPot.  The ham I bought this year was boneless so no soup this year but next year I will definitely buy a ham with a bone as I missed my yearly tradition.

Honored Contributor

We like Beef Stew & Chicken Noodle Soup.

Just made chicken noodle a couple of weeks ago.

Made a huge batch of beef stew yesterday since it's suppose to be really cold all week. We will have something hot to eat.

Made some french bread so I can make grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of beef stew for dinner.

It's only 16° & feels like 0°. Brrrrrrrrrrr