Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite homemade soup

@Chicagoan  Rustic Corn Chowder ( High Carb Hannah on YouTube for recipe)....simple hearty and very delicious....also very filling and perfect for a cold day!

Honored Contributor

My most favorite soup recipe is a Seafood Bisque.  It can be made so many ways and is a delicous soup to serve at a luncheon buffet.  It's a "most requested" soup at our church soup and sandwich luncheons.  Here is the recipe:

RECIPE – PAT’S SEAFOOD BISQUE

½ cup butter or oleo

1 large onion, chopped

6 stalks celery, chopped (option: 1 or 2 shredded carrots)

5 or 6 cooked, diced small potatoes

1 lb. medium shrimp*  (may use small)

1 lb. scallops*

1 lb. whitefish (cod, tilapia, whiting, haddock, etc.)*

1 tbsp. chopped parsley

2 bay leaves

2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning (or to taste)

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/8 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. white pepper

3 cans cream soup (1 celery, 1 mushroom, 1 chicken)

1 pint half & half

1 ½ quarts milk (2% or regular)

Sauté onion and celery until tender.  Add cream of celery, mushroom and chicken soup, half & half and milk.  Add other ingredients except shrimp.  Bring soup to simmer stage (do not boil) and simmer for 10 minutes.  Then add shrimp and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Transfer soup to Crock Pot and keep on warm setting.

Note:  You can do almost anything you want with this recipe.  Use all of one particular fish.  Use *clams, *imitation crab, *oysters, etc. in place of shrimp and scallops, for example.  Add more onion and/or celery.  Use less potatoes.  Add more Old Bay.  Use all milk or more or less half & half.  Each time you make it try something different.  That’s what I do.

Yield:  Serves 16 to 20 people

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Contributor

please post the recipe for garlic sausage lentil soup thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a Greek chicken and rice soup (Avgolemono) that gets its creaminess from egg yolks and tanginess from 3 lemons:

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts

12 3-inch strips of lemon zest

6 tbsp lemon juice

2 sprigs dill

2 tsp chopped dill

2 tsp coriander seeds

1 tsp peppercorns

1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed

8 cups chicken broth

1 cup white rice

2 eggs

2 egg yolks

Cut breasts in half lengthwise, toss with 1 3/4 tsp salt, and let stand at room temperature for 1/2 hour.  Place lemon zest, dill sprigs, coriander, peppercorns, and garlic in triple-thickness square of cheesecloth and tie into bundle with twine. 

Bring broth, rice, and spice bundle to a boil in soup pot over high heat.  Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Off heat add chicken, cover, and let stand 15 minutes.

Shred chicken on plate.  Blend 1 cup rice (without broth), lemon juice, eggs and yolks in blender until smooth.  Throw out spice bundle.  Place chicken in pot and bring to a simmer over high heat.  Off heat stir in egg mixture and chopped dill.       

Honored Contributor

I don't have a "recipe" ... just throw a bunch of stuff together from what's in the fridge/freezer.

I just put a pot on the stove.  Started with a Lipton onion soup mix, a bag of mixed vegetables and a can of white beans.  I'll add spices as it cooks and when it's all well cooked - I run it through the blender to puree. 

If I don't have soup mix ... I'll saute onions and garlic ... add bullion and water and go on from there.

Any kind of mixed vegetables works great.

Regular Contributor

@sabatini thanks so much for the Trader Joe's tip, but I live about 2 hours from the nearest one.  Although I do love it and whenever I'm nearby, I go there and get some good stuff!  I'd love to be near a really good grocery.  Cooking is much more enjoyable when you start with good ingredients.  

Someone once told me to grow my own when I complained I could never find fennel.  Maybe I should try that in my backyard. LOL

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for sharing your favorite soup recipes, I will enjoy trying your recipes this winter.  For me Chicago winters scream for a good pot of soup (I make in the pressure cooker), it is a balmy 16 degrees today after having -15 degrees for several days.   I made 6 qts of Italian sausage minestrone soup and froze it in quart containers that I buy from amazon.  I make Navy Bean and Ham soup frequently and try to always have some in the stand alone freezer, love that stuff.  All you soup lovers in the cold states, bundle up and stay warm!  All of you laying on the beach or by a pool, I am not even talking to YOU!!!!! lol

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Trusted Contributor

Brunswick Stew

Honored Contributor

My mom's navy bean and ham soup. I made it last week from my Christmas ham bone and we're still working on it! The longer it sits the better it tastes. It's a pretty fantastic tasting soup! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"

Is there a recipe for the garlic sausage/lentil