Valued Contributor

What is your favorite homemade soup

It is a balmy 4 degrees in Chicagoland and looking for a good homemade soup recipe.  I do have a pound of bulk Italian sausage that I am wanting to use.  What are your favorite recipes, using any ingredients....

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite homemade soup

All of Ina Garten's soups are wonderful and a meal in themselves.

These are the 2 I make over and over again.  They both freeze very well.

These recipes make enough for an army, so I always cut them in half and still have plent to freeze. The corn chowder, I cut down to 1/4 of the recipe because it just makes so much.  The corn chowder is from her first book which were recipes from her catering business, so all of those recipes have a lot of servings.

Rich Beef Barley Soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rich-beef-barley-soup-recipe-2041687

Cheddar Corn Chowder

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/cheddar-corn-chowder

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I just did this one and we loved it.

Sausage Bean Gumbo (from a Gooseberry Patch "One-Dish Meals" book.)

14-oz. smoked pork sausage link, sliced

3, 15 1/2-oz cans Great Northern beans, undrained, (I did 2/3 of that one).

14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes with sweet onions, undrained

1 stalk celery, diced

1/2 C. green pepper, diced

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. pepper

I did it on high for almost 3 hours in the Crockpot. But that was my choice.

Their instructions are in a large saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients.  Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Sprinkle servings with cilantro, if desired.  Makes 4 servings.

Respected Contributor

When it gets cold, and that would be a day time temperature of below 50ºF down here, I like to make up a big pot of beef soup made with canned crushed tomatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Cook up some thin noodles and pour a bowl full. Warm French bread goes well with it.

Trusted Contributor

Fast chicken in the pot:  chop up a celery stalk, a carrot & an onion.  Put in pot with 1 box turkey stock, bay leaf, parsley, salt, pepper & skinless chicken thighs. Add some beans, pasta &/or other vegetables that might be appropriate (near end of cook time) or rice, a few red pepper flakes (opt).  Simmer for about 1/2hour, partially covered.  

Esteemed Contributor

Anything with my own stock, and whatever I have in the fridge/pantry.  I always have frozen vegetables and a sack of potatoes on hand to add, and often leftover meat or a can of beans.

The sausage sounds delicious!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Old fashioned chicken soup and my favorite though not really a soup is a perfect beef stew.  Another would be vegetable soup.  yummm

Trusted Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

When it gets cold, and that would be a day time temperature of below 50ºF down here, I like to make up a big pot of beef soup made with canned crushed tomatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Cook up some thin noodles and pour a bowl full. Warm French bread goes well with it.

Where's the beef? (LOL!)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

I just did this one and we loved it.

Sausage Bean Gumbo (from a Gooseberry Patch "One-Dish Meals" book.)

14-oz. smoked pork sausage link, sliced

3, 15 1/2-oz cans Great Northern beans, undrained, (I did 2/3 of that one).

14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes with sweet onions, undrained

1 stalk celery, diced

1/2 C. green pepper, diced

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. pepper

I did it on high for almost 3 hours in the Crockpot. But that was my choice.

Their instructions are in a large saucepan over low heat, combine all ingredients.  Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Sprinkle servings with cilantro, if desired.  Makes 4 servings.

@qualitygal  Thanks!  This sounds absolutely wonderful, but for the life of me I can't see how this is gumbo.  There is no "first you make a roux" and there is no okra or filet.

My quick pseudo gumbo is:  Saute a little celery and onion and bell pepper in a pot until softened, add a clove of crushed garlic (or a little garlic powder in a pinch).  

Then add cooked chicken, can of okra and tomatoes, enough chicken broth to your liking.  I sometimes spice it up with a touch of oregano.  Bring to a boil and serve over cooked white rice.

You can also add some frozen vegetables, mixed or to your taste, or greens if you feel like it's time for a vegetable.  NOT authentic gumbo but a little bit of the taste when you need a quick meal!   All amounts are simply to your taste!  I like a lot of chicken in mine and a lot of onion, celery and garlic!

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal  I make bean soup similar to your recipe, but, I never thought of putting sausage in it.  Your recipe soups delicious with the sausage added!  Thank you

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you