Valued Contributor

What is your favorite broccoli recipe?

Broccoli always seems to be named as one of the healthiest foods, but I don't find a lot of recipes other than broccoli cheese casserole.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite broccoli recipe?

[ Edited ]

I often just roast it in the oven. Some people like to give it a spritz of oil and stick it in the air fryer.  I also love Cauliflower Broccoli Salad. It has bacon, shredded cheese, a tiny bit of onion, and a sweetened mayo & sour cream dressing.  Oh, and I can't forget my own version of a Chicken Bacon Broccoli Ranch Casserole.  Broccoli Cheese Soup is another good one.  Egg Bite Muffins with Cheddar Cheese and Spinach are good to make and have onhand for a quick breakfast.  Finely cut broccoli can be swapped for the spinach. 

Can ya tell, we enjoy our broccoli? 😊

LMK if any sound like something you would enjoy.  It would have been a lot of typing for nothing, if you weren't interested.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I steam broccoli and then drizzle some olive oil, add salt and pepper, and then squeeze fresh lemon over it.  I also roast it in the oven at 400 degrees.  I prefer it steamed.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG     How does broccoli play into this recipe ??

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@CoffeeNut 

Mega nutrients and a medium amount of flavor.  Our GS are wild about this one!

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@CoffeeNut 

I'm not sure.  Spinach and broccoli are 2 different vegetables.   I'm not sure if she means you can substitute the spinach for the broccoli.   It's unclear 

Honored Contributor

Cold broccoli/cauliflower salad.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I enjoy it roasted or steamed. But in using it in a recipe, we really enjoy broccoli tots (they can be served as a side or snack). If I devote the time to making them, I typically make several batches and freeze them

Ingredients

• 2 cups uncooked broccoli (12 ounces frozen broccoli may be substituted)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 cup diced green onion (or yellow onion)
    • 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
    • 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
    • 1/3 cup italian breadcrumbs
    • 2 tablespoons parsley (or rosemary)
    • 2 cloves minced garlic (Optional)
    • dash red pepper or sriracha (optional)
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions
    • Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or line with parchment paper and set aside.
    • Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute then remove and shock with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
    • Chop broccoli finely and mix throughly with the egg, onions, cheddar, breadcrumbs, and seasoning. Scoop about 1.5 tablespoons of mix using a ice-cream scoop or your hands and gently press between your hands into a firm ball then shape into a tater-tot shape. It helps to wash your hands after every few tots to keep them from sticking onto your hands. Next, Place on your prepared baking sheet.
    • Bake until golden brown and crispy, 18-24 minutes, turning half way. Remove from the oven and enjoy with dipping sauce.

* If not eating immediately, and freezing, complete until step of baking. Place frozen tots in freezer (not touching one another) until frozen. Then place all tots in freezer safe container. To enjoy, place frozen tots on baking sheet and proceed with baking directions (400/18-24 min. Flipping 1/2 way).

Honored Contributor

I only like the stems of broccoli.  Peel them and saute in some butter or use in a stir fry.