Honored Contributor

What is the difference between top round and bottom round?

Years ago it seemed it all came as "round steak."  Now our store has Baron of Beef, which is a chunk of top round.  Very good so far in the crock pot.  I've also tried a roast of bottom round.  Not so good.  Was that just bad luck, or should I just stick to the top round?

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the difference between top round and bottom round?

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

If you had a nice big cut of round steak, with bone, in front of you right now, that larger top piece is part of a top round roast, and that smaller, tighter grain piece is from the bottom round cut.  Both are cut from the rear legs of the cow; same location as hams on a pig.  

For me, these roasts are cooked low and slow in the oven, or cut in cubes for beef stew.   

Honored Contributor

Thank you !  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop That round steak you just described is what makes my chicken fried steak so good. I would buy a whole steak and have it tenderized. I cannot find a whole round steak in the major grocery stores in my area. That part of the beef is now being sold as roast instead of steak. The guy in the meat market told me it is because most people don't know how to use the steak.

Honored Contributor

It is a crime we can't get round steak any more.  I thinkn I'll investigate getting a butcher shop to cut me some if I'll buy a bunch and freeze them! 

You think that would work?  How many would we have to buy?  I know they cut primal cuts differently now, so that might not even be possible?

Anyone know a butcher?  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sooner I found a local butcher in a neighboring town who raises his own beef. He told me he would cut the round steaks for me. COVID caused my husband and I to shut down the next week after I found him.

Perhaps you can find someone reasonably close in a small town in your area. Good luck in your quest.

Honored Contributor

I would think any grocery store with a meat department that cuts and grinds meat to order, would cut round steaks for you just for asking.  

They just have to start with that whole hind leg to get the whole slice cut we're talking about.   

Esteemed Contributor

Publix makes a "ground round" with 15% fat.  It is my favorite!  Love the taste of a round steak!