Honored Contributor

Re: What is on your menu for New Year's Day?

@doxie1

My family has never made a big deal out of New Years, so I don’t usually cook a meal.   When I lived at home, we were still eating leftovers from Christmas.   That huge fresh ham Mom cooked on Christmas Eve, seemed to last forever.  

My MIL always tried to get the whole family back to her house New Years Day.   After the forced appearance on Christmas, my family never wanted to go, and we rarely did.   Pork and cabbage, along with holiday leftovers were sure to be on her table.   

After my MIL passed, her daughter hosts a small gathering on the 1st, and they play cards.   My husband will go for a little while.   Teacher daughter is at her boyfriends, trucker daughter is on the road, and I am hoping for an afternoon all by myself!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee

@Sooner

Haha.

Cleaning the greens thoroughly can be a pain but you lose your appetite if you bite into grit when eating them.

A relative was tired of hearing the women talk about how difficult the cleaning was. He decide to solve our problem by washing them in the washing machine. He did not tell us what he was doing.

We went to get them out of the refigerator to start washing them. They were gone. He told us he washed them. We wondered what medication he was on to take that task on.

That is when it happened. There was a strange noise coming from the basement. He took off to check on the noise. His willingness to jump in like that has us on alert so we followed him.

We were stunned by the vision before us.Nobody could speak as they took in the environment. First, the washing machine was a good six feet from its normal position as it appeared to be walking across the floor.

He cut the power so it came to rest in its new location. I am thinking he tried to turn the machine into a lawn mower with all the clippings like grass coming out. There were "clippings" everywhere.

They even made a light fixture look like a chandelier . As we looked around it became obvious that there was not a surface that did not have the "clippings".

She looked at her husband and said, "what have you done?" He proceeded to tell us how he thought he would help us by cleaning the greens. When he realized how easy it was going to be he decided to clean them for the neighborhood and bought 20 additional pounds of them.

Our heads bobbed when he said ,"it only made sense to do a full load" His wife being a superwoman looked at him and said, " you are going to fix this". He ducked his head and said he would get on it. She said, "No, I mean you are going to fix ALL of this" She went upstairs and had a glass of wine.

I will never forget that day. So, yes ,cleaning the greens can be tedious. We also have added  a teaspoon of sugar and vinegar to cooking.

doxie

edited to add paragraphs

Respected Contributor

@knittykitty

Enjoy your brunch. Your meal sounds good.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1

I usually eat pork as well.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian

Pizza and wine! That is grand.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I am not from the South so my menu is:

Wild caught salmon
Chopped salad

That is after having nachos watching the Rose Bowl.

Esteemed Contributor

First thing in the morning I'll be ordering from Red Lobster.  DH will be picking it up at 2.  I have to work until 2pm NYE. Luckily I work at home. 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop

You can make your afternoon what you want! That will be fun.Have your guilty pleasure. A bowl of ice cream would be good.

Emjoy your day.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@doxie1  This story is not just my laugh for the day but the entire year!  I guess this husband was envisioning the washing machine as a giant colander/salad spinner where the grit would settle on the bottom!

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey

Red Lobsdter yum. That will be a celebration. I have not eaten there in a long time. What is your favorite meal there?

Enjoy your feast.

doxie