Honored Contributor

Re: What is Italian grated cheese?

@panda1234 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Locatelli is a name brand.  They make really good cheese.  They use a Pecorino and Romano blend.

I like to buy a chunk of Pecorino, Romano and Parmesan and grate it myself.  The cheese is very hard and easy to grate.  When you buy it already grated, it losses some flavor....but it is still good.  I keep it wrapped in my refrigerator and grate it as needed. It is expensive, but so worth it.

@Carmie  Since you buy a chunk you might already know this. The rind is good in soups and your tomato sauce. At $25 per pound you want to use it all.

I love the rind.  Sometimes I even chew on a piece of it.   I love robust cheese. I use it for cooking too.  I just buy a small piece at a time.

We have some really nice Italian Markets where I live, and I usually get the imported varieties.  My DH calls it stinky feet cheese.  Obviously, he is not Italian.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@panda1234 I always use the rind. What a difference it makes in soups. 

I use whichever kind of Italian chunk of cheese I have in the house. It doesn’t matter. 

We go to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx to stock up on our Italian goodies.

@proudlyfromNJ  How lucky you are to be able to go to the Bronx to get the real stuff. I bet that is a fun trip as well as expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy Parmasano-Reggiano in chunk from our local Italian store.  Then I grate it myself and keep it in the freezer.  I watch the chunks I buy and get one w/as little rind on it that I can.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Locatelli is a name brand.  They make really good cheese.  They use a Pecorino and Romano blend.

I like to buy a chunk of Pecorino, Romano and Parmesan and grate it myself.  The cheese is very hard and easy to grate.  When you buy it already grated, it losses some flavor....but it is still good.  I keep it wrapped in my refrigerator and grate it as needed. It is expensive, but so worth it.

@Carmie  Since you buy a chunk you might already know this. The rind is good in soups and your tomato sauce. At $25 per pound you want to use it all.

I love the rind.  Sometimes I even chew on a piece of it.   I love robust cheese. I use it for cooking too.  I just buy a small piece at a time.

We have some really nice Italian Markets where I live, and I usually get the imported varieties.  My DH calls it stinky feet cheese.  Obviously, he is not Italian.

LOL @Carmie 

We have always called Parmesan 'stinky feet' cheese!

I never buy Parm anyways...always Pecor, romano or blends of those mentioned.

@Zhills   Just don't ever buy that Kraft stuff in the green container!  Blech!  Has adders and fillers!  You won't go wrong getting any of the ones mentioned.

Trusted Contributor

I like Parmesan, Pecorino, Mozarella, and aged Provolone...I like the rinds for soups, and use fresh Mozarella if making lasagna....I love Provolone blends grated on sandwiches....BUT a combo of all, is so Italian, especially with a little Italian seasoning in to the mix...

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Zhills wrote:

Now I am really confused!  Thanks everyone.  I guess it is just a matter of your favorite one.  

Is there one you always use in meatballs?

@Zhills 

It  may depend on the source of the recipe you're looking at.  If it's current, it probably means one of those pre-grated bags at the grocery store.  I know our dairy counter has bags labeled "Mexican Blend" and "Italian Blend" along with the "Sharp" and "Mild" cheddars, etc.  I suspect more "classic" recipes would specify the cheeses by name.

Remember the "mind over matter" rule?  "If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."  Applies to recipe, too.