Respected Contributor

Re: What ham glaze do YOU use?

Darling Giacomo!

Kisses on the beaks to him and Frankie!  Heart

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@sabatini

Thank you! It’s actually Frannie. The site kept changing the name for me. I finally managed to get it to stay the right way.

Respected Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

@sabatini

Thank you! It’s actually Frannie. The site kept changing the name for me. I finally managed to get it to stay the right way.

Well, that makes more sense. LOL! I like 'Frannie'!

I figured that maybe the name came before you were sure of the gender.

I once named a rescue cat Madelaine...and then found out that she was a he. Haha! 

Enjoy your birds. Heart Heart

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Brown sugar, honey & mustard. Yum!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes we just pour real maple syrup over it.

Honored Contributor

Crushed pineapple, brown sugar, cloves, and yellow mustard, simmered until it thickens a little.   I cover the ham with it and serve the rest on the side.   

Respected Contributor

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

mine is easy, common and not precise.

ham bakes with can of pineapple(juice and all) and a bit of brown sugar poured over it.

when ham is done, remove an let the drippings cool and take off fat layer.

cook down to syrup in sauce pan:

drippings

cloves

all spice

cinnamon

mustard

brown sugar

i taste it to see if it needs more of anything and add as needed.

I use  the same - oftentimes I don't think about cloves but if I have them I use them if not, no big deal.

Esteemed Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Hi, @Irshgrl31201.

About using coke in your glaze....

Years ago, I worked w/ an 'old school' chef who ALWAYS used coca cola, not only as part of his ham's glaze, but also in raisin sauce.

I think it was a combination of coke, O.J., Dijon & brown sugar, but I forget the details.

When I'd raised an eyebrow the 1st time I saw him do it, he said 'what's in coke? citrus, vanilla, cinnamon - perfect for ham', & he was right!

I'll bet your mom's ham is delicious!

@sabatini wrote:

Hi, @Irshgrl31201.

About using coke in your glaze....

Years ago, I worked w/ an 'old school' chef who ALWAYS used coca cola, not only as part of his ham's glaze, but also in raisin sauce.

I think it was a combination of coke, O.J., Dijon & brown sugar, but I forget the details.

When I'd raised an eyebrow the 1st time I saw him do it, he said 'what's in coke? citrus, vanilla, cinnamon - perfect for ham', & he was right!

I'll bet your mom's ham is delicious!

Yes, he was right @sabatini, it has the perfect ingredients that go with ham. I also LOVE horseradish. I eat it plain on turkey and cheese sandwiches with about a tablespoon of horseradish and a teaspoon of yellow mustard. I love it on so many things though.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK