Honored Contributor

What does hack mean, especially with recipes?

I got such good responses with "crack chicken,"  I should ask what "hack" means, specifically.  I get it sort of means hint.  I guess I hang around with only seniors, no kids in my life whatsoever. DD is 450 miles away.  No grandkids.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What does hack mean, especially with recipes?

good question

Respected Contributor

A hack is a different way of doing something, or  using an item in a different way.   The result is easier or improved.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

To hack is to modify or change something in an extraordinary way.” In the cooking world, we are all looking for shortcuts or cooking tips.

Honored Contributor

I hack recipes and make them my own way all the time.   

I prefer very simple, fewer ingredient recipes, and will not buy special things just to make a new dish.   

Respected Contributor

As others have said it's nifty ways of 'MacGyvering".  I think someone had posted about her Mother using a spoonful of Mayo in a cake recipe when she was out of eggs.  That's a hack. 

Honored Contributor

To me it means this for that.

I went to make something one day and it called for a small can of tomato sauce, onions, garlic and peppers. 

I had everything except the tomato sauce, saw a jar of salsa sitting on the shelf and used that instead of everything else.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I knew I could count on you all.

Honored Contributor

I consider a hack as an imposter. If I find a hack for a recipe, its the ingredients of that official recipe. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

In my opinion it is an ugly new term (I cringe every time I read or hear it) put out there by twenty somethings that means a new way of doing something, or a "tip." Lets just stick with the English lanquage shall we?