Esteemed Contributor

Re: What does cream cheese do for a recipe?

I love the flavor and creaminess that cream cheese brings to recipes, especially desserts. I've used it in baked meals and thick soups, but I never use a full brick even if it's called for. Sometimes just 2 or 3 tablespoons add a lot to recipes and is plenty for the flavor that it brings. And of course a few ounces in a recipe occasionally is not going to add a lot of pounds. You can also try light cream cheese or Neufchatel for something lighter.

Honored Contributor

@depglass    Whipped cream cheese is a lot lower in calories -- 50 per 2 Tablespoons.  I had it this moring on top of a mini bagel I buy the mini bagels  at Target.  They are sold fresh in the produce area and lower in calories.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

It actually depends on what kind of recipe you use, savory or sweet?

Sweet you can use marscapone cheese

Savory you can use rigotta cheese, sometimes sour cream will work

As other have said greek yogurt

I personally do not care for cream cheese plain but sometimes you can mask the flavor with garlic, lemon, onion, crab, worscheshire combination and you wouldn't even know you are eating cream cheese.  Usually for a dip like this mixture, sour cream and some mayo is added for an easier spread.

Esteemed Contributor

I like cream cheese on a really good bagel bought from a NY Bagel store ... YUM YUM YUM !!!

Esteemed Contributor

I always have cream cheese in my fridge and use it often.  I can't go through life constantly worried about calories, fat, salt.  Everything in moderation.

Life's too short -- eat cream cheese! 

Respected Contributor

I agree. The cream cheese lobby must be working overtime.  I hate that stuff and won't use any recipe that has it and I've noticed it seems to be in everything.  

Respected Contributor

Everything!!  My most favorite fix is small peppers sliced in half and seeds, etc cut out.  Then spread the cream cheese on the peppers, then sprinkled with the bagel topping...this is beyond epic, trust me!!  

4C0C0A2C-E4D1-46B9-8CA9-3D2ABD543DAE.jpeg

65877D4E-D102-40CE-9A12-9DB1077C8DE8.jpeg

57162461-92BC-4BA7-971C-1356487F943F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

Everything!!  My most favorite fix is small peppers sliced in half and seeds, etc cut out.  Then spread the cream cheese on the peppers, then sprinkled with the bagel topping...this is beyond epic, trust me!!  

4C0C0A2C-E4D1-46B9-8CA9-3D2ABD543DAE.jpeg

65877D4E-D102-40CE-9A12-9DB1077C8DE8.jpeg

57162461-92BC-4BA7-971C-1356487F943F.jpeg

@BornToShop  I used the plain cream cheese, but this is definitely one of my go to’s!  I do it with celery too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

I agree. The cream cheese lobby must be working overtime.  I hate that stuff and won't use any recipe that has it and I've noticed it seems to be in everything.  

@Bridgegal 

You are really missing a lot by hating.  I don't understand someone being so bitter at their fellowman about differences.  This is not whether or not to bomb some tiny country in Europe.  This is about people who like different tastes in their foods.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

What on earth????  I didn't say anything about hating people.   I said I hate cream cheese , something many people have said here.  Cream cheese and other foods.

Maybe you missread my post about a food item, not people.