Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you make at home, better than you can get at a restaurant?

@Pook wrote:

Mac and cheese, meatballs, lasagna and most Italian red sauce dishes.  I actually will not order anything with an Italian sauce out - except for only 2 places.   Also, cheesecake, and most pies. 

Pook, I was looking for your sauce recipe over on the Spaghetti sauce thread. Can you divulge, please? I posted mine yesterday.

It is hard for me to order red sauce out, Maggiano's included! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Everything.  We don't go to out to eat too often and when we do, DH always says " we should have eaten at home, this wasn't as good as you make."  I have to agree.

i cook mostly everything from scratch, the old fashioned way.  I cheat on occasion, mostly when my grand kids are here.  They love mac and cheese from a box. It's what they get at home and restaurants. 

Super Contributor

bolognese sauce

Contributor

Pretty much everything. Except for a few occasions here and there, we all prefer homemade food made from scratch, using fresh ingredients. It tastes better,

Valued Contributor

Pancakes. 

I think it is because too many restaurants rely on ready made mixes.  I find they have "off" flavors.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@Harpa  My recipe which my mother found a cheat for and tastes exactly like my grandmother's (from Northern Italy) which was time consuming.  She started by browning some pork cut up in olive oil with garlic salt (pork chops or country ribs).  When cooked add 3 jars of DelGrosso (Prego gives a similar outcome) sauce, add a can of tomato sauce, grated pepperoni, lots and lots of Italian Seasoning, some fresh basil and oregano and garlic powder.  Simmer for about a half an hour adding more spices if needed.  I can't give exact measurements as I learned from my mother and grandmother to cook by tasting often.   It's not a low cal healthy recipe by any means but oh so good!!!  I won't waste my time making a healthy substitute as I just won't enjoy it!!

Honored Contributor

Seriously. All the food we cook at home tastes 100% better then anything you can go out & eat. We hardly ever go out to eat because it's way to salty. We don't have what I would call a 5 star restaurant around here. 

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

No one makes a meat loaf as well as I do.  No one.  There have been studies.

@Peaches McPhee   Please post your recipe.  I've been looking for a good meatloaf recipe and haven't found it yet...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pretty much everything, but mainly I just prefer to eat my food at home, than to eat out, period.   

My food allergies severely limit what I can eat out; I NEVER try anything new.  If I eat out it will be at Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Omelet Shop, and IHOP, because I know exactly what is safe for me to eat there.   

Honored Contributor

I have racked my brain and racked my brain and can't come up with a thing. Woman Frustrated 

That being said, we rarely eat out anymore and I can't even remember the last time we had any type of fast food.  Prior to January, we generally either ate out or did take-out Friday and Saturday.