Honored Contributor

Re: What do you make at home, better than you can get at a restaurant?

Chinese sitr fry; meatloaf (90 percent lean ground beef that I grind and a blob of very good chunky salsa--that's it!); FABULOUS steak--start out with the best t-bone you can find, bring to room temp and put on a very hot grill.  Sear on one side, flip, sear, turn off fire (shut the vents) close the lid and cook for about 90 seconds, brush with butter and serve.  DON'T ruin it with seasonings except salt and a lot of salt.  Don't get the steaks too thick or they just don't cook as well.  Not too thin or then will get well done through.

Valued Contributor

My own red sauces, chili, pastas dishes, cakes, pies, cookies are generally better home made.  Steak, fried chicken, bbq ribs or brisket, and pizza are generally things I eat out.  They are either too time consuming to make or certain restaurants make them better, they have hotter ovens or smokers and fryers which we don't have here.

Honored Contributor

We don't have any really good restaurants where we live, the food is adequate. I'm a pretty good cook and baker and I like to do it, so I have to say I can make it better myself.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a competitive person, and I hate being braggy.  But I do make some killer lasagne.    I've written so many recipes over the years that I can't even remember most of them as I sit here.  I remember making a pretty great meatloaf, but mine had a lot more stuff in it than the recipes I've seen here.

Oh, and my fudge is TDF.   I was actually selling it for a number of years, with several varieties.  I probably made a lot of people fat.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

My carrot cake is the best my family says. And my applesauce brownies.

Respected Contributor

Of course some restaurants are better than others, but I don't think there is anything I prepare better than a chef or professional cook.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm not a competitive person, and I hate being braggy.  But I do make some killer lasagne.    I've written so many recipes over the years that I can't even remember most of them as I sit here.  I remember making a pretty great meatloaf, but mine had a lot more stuff in it than the recipes I've seen here.

Oh, and my fudge is TDF.   I was actually selling it for a number of years, with several varieties.  I probably made a lot of people fat.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt

Can you please share your TDF fudge recipe? Mine is never TDF. TIA!!

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who said, "everything".  It's the primary reason we rarely go to restaurants.  I inevitably wind up thinking, "I could have made this better for a fraction of the price".  

I'm not saying this because I'm an expert cook - rather because I cook things the way WE like them.  

If we go out to dinner with friends, we are happy to pay the high prices because they include an evening in good company, no prep and no clean up.  When it's just the two of us, it rarely makes sense to eat out.

However, there are a couple of things that I can't make quite as well at home, despite my best efforts - pizza and steak.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

As I was reading through this, I wondering if people made fudge during the year, or only at holiday time.  Love good fudge. Are you going to share that with us, or is it pretty involed? I prefer to just eat it truthfully. LOL

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

chickenbutt wrote, in part:   Oh, and my fudge is TDF.   I was actually selling it for a number of years, with several varieties.  I probably made a lot of people fat.  Smiley Happy 

As I was reading through this, I wondering if people made fudge during the year, or only at holiday time.  Love good fudge. Are you going to share that with us, or is it pretty involed? I prefer to just eat it truthfully. LOL

There will be fudge in heaven.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.