Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you make at home, better than you can get at a restaurant?

Spaghetti & Lasagne

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Scones. DH loves my scones. The bakery type can be dry and tasteless.

Cookies - homemade are a different category of food than bought cookies.

There are some things too much trouble to make at home - pizza and fried chicken come to mind. 

Valued Contributor

Crepes (even my mother in law said mine are the best)

Sour Cream Coffee Cake  

Meatloaf  (Mr. Food recipe)

Honored Contributor

Meatloaf.  I don't take credit for it, it is Ann Lander's recipe from oh so many years ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

chickenbutt wrote, in part:   Oh, and my fudge is TDF.   I was actually selling it for a number of years, with several varieties.  I probably made a lot of people fat.  Smiley Happy 

As I was reading through this, I wondering if people made fudge during the year, or only at holiday time.  Love good fudge. Are you going to share that with us, or is it pretty involed? I prefer to just eat it truthfully. LOL

There will be fudge in heaven.  

I wouldn't care how involved it was!

Maybe we ought to call dear chickenbutt out in a separate thread.

Frequent Contributor

Spaghetti sauce

Lasagna

Turkey and dressing

Italian Cream Cake

Honored Contributor

I've very competitive.  I enter baking contests.

I would say cheesecake is my specialty and I've never had a cheesecake out that was better than my own (sorry Juniors!).

And Italian gravy/Sunday sauce - but only because everyone has their own recipe handed down from their Italian grandmothers.  I just like my own, so I would never order it out because it's not the same.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Having grown up in a city blessed with food of many cultures and numerous 4 and 5 star restaurants, we always ate out well.  I was spoiled.  And thank goodness for that, because my mother couldn't cook worth a darn.

It was a personal goal to become more than a decent cook for my family, so after I left home Graham Kerr and Julia Child became my tutors.

To this day, I remain a scratch cook and, if I may say so, a darn good one.  I can out-cook many a restaurant chef and am very critical of many dishes I've had in hundreds of restaurants.

My list would be too long.  Yes, I'm boasting, but am being truthful.  Like another poster, I'm a baker as well and have entered and won contests.  This all seems to be part of my being.

Frequent Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

1.  Meatballs

2.  Gravy (the red kind - or as you medagans refer to it as "tomato sauce" or "spaghetti sauce" Smiley Happy

3.  Cheesecake.  I was asked by a restaurant to give them the recipe after making the owner one.

4.  Homemade pasta, especially gnocchi

5.  Chocolate chip cookies

6.  Stuffing for turkey.  And the turkey.  The secret is lots of white whine in the roasting pan.  And a side glass doesn't hurt either  Smiley Very Happy

7.  Grilled marinated pork tenderloin

I could go on....but I don't want to make you drool.

I can tell you are a proud cook and you sound like a fun person...wish I knew you in real life...I'd love to be your friend and get invited for supper...often!!! Smiley LOL

Trusted Contributor

White Jasmine Rice - I followed the instructions and rinsed my rice 4 -5 times - AT LEAST - and it was so darn fluffy.  I add chicken boullion for a little flavor too.