Respected Contributor

Re: What brand and type of turkey is your recommendation?

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

What brand and type of turkey do you use for consistently great results?

Hi @Mindy D,

For me personally, I don't even know if the brand makes a difference so much, as maybe the cooking method does.

I prefer the turkey when I slow roast it in the oven, so that the skin turns out golden brown, but the inside meat is moist, tender, and juicy.

I have mainly purchased and made Butterball turkeys or turkey breasts, but this year I made a Honeysuckle White turkey breast, and it was just as delicious.

With the Butterballs, I have roasted whole young turkeys that were about 15 pounds, and have made the small, boneless turkey breasts, and have also made the bone-in turkey breasts. I have oven roasted them, and also cooked them in my slow cookers.

With this last one that I bought-the Honeysuckle White-I slow roasted it in my table top oven after lightly coating it with some veggie oil and lightly seasoning it all over with salt and pepper. 

Regardless of the brand, IMO, "Brining" the turkey for 24-hours in advance of roasting it, equals juicy, moist & delicious.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: What brand and type of turkey is your recommendation?

@alliswell wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Hi @Mindy D,

For me personally, I don't even know if the brand makes a difference so much, as maybe the cooking method does.

I prefer the turkey when I slow roast it in the oven, so that the skin turns out golden brown, but the inside meat is moist, tender, and juicy.

I have mainly purchased and made Butterball turkeys or turkey breasts, but this year I made a Honeysuckle White turkey breast, and it was just as delicious.

With the Butterballs, I have roasted whole young turkeys that were about 15 pounds, and have made the small, boneless turkey breasts, and have also made the bone-in turkey breasts. I have oven roasted them, and also cooked them in my slow cookers.

With this last one that I bought-the Honeysuckle White-I slow roasted it in my table top oven after lightly coating it with some veggie oil and lightly seasoning it all over with salt and pepper. 

Regardless of the brand, IMO, "Brining" the turkey for 24-hours in advance of roasting it, equals juicy, moist & delicious.  Smiley Happy

@alliswell wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Hi @Mindy D,

Hi @alliswell,

Yes, that's true. Smiley Happy

The nice feature about the pre-injected frozen turkeys is that you don't have to worry about brining them, since they're already injected with a sodium solution.

You can just get them ready to roast, and then you're ready to go. 

Once mine is roasting, I just check it for browning and doneness along the way. Smiley Happy