Honored Contributor

Re: What Was The Pot Roast Recipe You Grew Up With?

My mom made pot roast at least once a week and it was my favorite thing ever!! always beef with carrots, spuds, prob onions and then a rich dark chocolo-ate colored gravy that I could drink from a cup, it was so good---don't know what she did but I have never been able to duplicate it. 

Honored Contributor

If you are in a hurry and don't have  a lot of time, sear the roast and add 1 can of Campbell's French onion soup, and one of cream of onion soup,  a can of water and cook for a couple hrs at 350. It might take a bit longer ,depending on the size of the roast, and your oven

It will make wonderful gravy, and lots of it. My husband is a gravy guy, so I always make a lot

If you don't like onion , substitute beef broth ,and cream of mushroom soup.

Honored Contributor

Meat, vegetables, salt & pepper.  If there was anything else I sure don't remember it.  But I still have fond memories, it seemed better than what I can come up with now.

Valued Contributor

Growing up my Mom would make a pot roast every Sunday.  Low and slow, stove top.  Dad was always wanting to add red wine to it and she would always say, "Charles, don't add too much"!  It made the best gravy.  Potatoes, celery, carrots and onions were cooked with it.  I love chuck roast.  I tried Bob Bowersox's "Granny's Pot Roast".  It's stove top and delicious.  You use both beef and chicken broth.  I prefer mashed potatoes so I cook that separately.   

Respected Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I can remember my mother's pot roast.  She made a brown gravy from the drippings and placed the pot roast over pennsylvania egg noodles with carrots and onions.  We all loved it!

Used to be what we had every Sunday when I was growing up - sometimes with and sometimes without the noodles.  

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 Was the pot roast you described done with a chuck roast, round roast, or rump roast please.  Thanks!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@haddon9 Was the pot roast you described done with a chuck roast, round roast, or rump roast please.  Thanks!Smiley Happy

@ECBG   I have used all three and they have all turned out equally well.  Last time I used a chuck roast.

I just make sure that there is about a cup of water plus the container of cream of mushroom soup (I use Pacifico organic in a small box) and the frozen French onion from Costco. (I hope they have it next time I go...it's a seasonal item) and slow roast it (start at around 250 and slowly go up to 325) for 4-5 hours.

Honored Contributor

@coconut1818 wrote:

Growing up my Mom would make a pot roast every Sunday.  Low and slow, stove top.  Dad was always wanting to add red wine to it and she would always say, "Charles, don't add too much"!  It made the best gravy.  Potatoes, celery, carrots and onions were cooked with it.  I love chuck roast.  I tried Bob Bowersox's "Granny's Pot Roast".  It's stove top and delicious.  You use both beef and chicken broth.  I prefer mashed potatoes so I cook that separately.   

I bet it's really good with a bit of wine too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have no idea, but I know it didn't involve a crock pot or cream of anything or tomato sauce.  Basically, I think it was a chuck roast, potatoes, onions, and carrots wrapped up in aluminum foil and cooked in the oven.  I don't know what temp or if she seared it first.  She only did it on Sundays and it cooked while we were at church.  

I've tried pot roast in a crock pot, but I don't care for it, at least not the veggies.  I don't want them all wet. I prefer them roasted.