Honored Contributor

Re: What Was The Pot Roast Recipe You Grew Up With?

@cherry wrote:

If you are in a hurry and don't have  a lot of time, sear the roast and add 1 can of Campbell's French onion soup, and one of cream of onion soup,  a can of water and cook for a couple hrs at 350. It might take a bit longer ,depending on the size of the roast, and your oven

It will make wonderful gravy, and lots of it. My husband is a gravy guy, so I always make a lot

If you don't like onion , substitute beef broth ,and cream of mushroom soup.

@cherry So does this come half way up the roast?  Almost cover it?  I always wonder that because roasts come pretty flat, or taller than flat, depending on what kind of roast you use.

To me, which cut you are using is the critical factor, and people give you recipes, but never what kind of roast they are talking about!  Woman Frustrated  Not that's I'm ocd or anything. . . Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I usually get a pot roast or an English cut  @Sooner . It really almost covers the roast. Of course once you remove the meat ,the level  of fluid goes down a lot. I usually bake mine for around 3 hrs, but everyone doesn't buy the same size of roast, and some might get just enough for  1  meal  from it

I always have left overs

Honored Contributor

As someone else posted, my mother made more of a beef stew than a pot roast.

She relied on the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook but tended to leave out ingredients that she didn't have and didn't cook with more than basic spices.

I have a hard time  figuring out her recipes as a result.  Even she can't remember what she did and will sometimes call me and my sister to fill in the blanks.  LOL  She used to make a rice dish and none of us can remember how to make it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I usually get a pot roast or an English cut  @Sooner . It really almost covers the roast. Of course once you remove the meat ,the level  of fluid goes down a lot. I usually bake mine for around 3 hrs, but everyone doesn't buy the same size of roast, and some might get just enough for  1  meal  from it

I always have left overs

@cherry Thanks!  Aren't leftovers the point of a roast?  I mean if you don't have leftovers, why bother?  

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 What was in the rice dish?  What did it taste like?  Chances are good that someone here has the recipe!

The people here are amazing and find things like that!  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@VaBelle35 What was in the rice dish?  What did it taste like?  Chances are good that someone here has the recipe!

The people here are amazing and find things like that!  

Good luck!

It's a spanish fried rice dish and it is more how she cooked it than what was in it.  It was just rice and tomato.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 Did your mom cook the rice covered or uncovered in a frying pan or sauce pan on top of the stove or covered in the oven?

Maybe she browned the rice in butter or other shortening before doing the rest of the recipe.

I cook and eat a lot of rice so I'm curious and love to try and track down old, lost recipes.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eye of the Round Roast (not really a pot roast)

Lipton Onion Soup

Water

3 or 4 cloves of garlic

2 bat leaves

Salt and Pepper to taste

Bake in covered Dutch Oven until done. 

Remove the roast to rest and skim the fat off the remaining liquid.  Mix cornstarch with cold water and simmer until thickened for gravy.

My mother never browned the roast first.

I still use this recipe, but add a splash of red wine.

Respected Contributor

Never had any.