Honored Contributor

Re: What Was The Pot Roast Recipe You Grew Up With?

Along with the meat, potatoes, carrots, a bit of onion, seasonings, a hit of Kitchen Bouquet and so on, my mother adds a couple of sliced up sweet potatoes and you would not believe what it does for the flavor of the meat and for the gravy...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

In a big Dutch oven, lined with aluminum foil, my mom would place a large chuck roast.  Then, she would add two cans of cream of mushroom soup, two packages of Lipton’s dried onion soup mix, some red wine and a whole bunch of raw carrots.  She would seal the foil, place the lid on it and cook it, in the oven, all day, at a very low temp.

When it was done, it would fall apart on your plate.  Hard to say what was better, the pot roast or the gravy over mashed potatoes.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

I make pot roast because stew is too much work. 

4 lb chuck roast, floured (with horseradish powder added in the flour.). Dust off the excess flour coating and brown in a dutch oven on all sides.  Add 1 cup water and cover.  add Some carrots, I toss in a bag of baby carrots,  Let it sit on the burner at a low simmer for an hour. Don't let it get to a full boil.  Add some sliced onions and potato slices and simmer til the meat is tender. this cn take a while. be patient. can stick it in the oven if you want.  Strain the liquid, put in the fridge, remove the fat that rises to the surface and srve that "gravy" with the meat. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG That pot roast recipe looks great. I'm not the meat-eater in the family, but I can attest to how good Campbell's tomato soup is for these dishes, because I use it in beef stew, and everyone loves it.

Since we're having guests this weekend, I already know I'll be making your pot roast.Even for me, it looks delicious. I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG   My Mom would use a nice thick chuck roast and put potatoes and carrots around the roast, add some onions a little water and then sprinkle a package of Lipton dry onion soup mix all over the roast, potatoes and carrots.  Then cover and bake at 350 for 3 hrs.  I still make mine this way also.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom used a 5 pound rump roast.  She added carrots, onions, salt, pepper, one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of burgundy wine.  She put it in the oven before church at 350 degrees and when we got home from Sunday school and church, the roast was done. (about 3 1/2 hours.)  We made mashed potatoes and a vegetable.  We still make it that way but getting a rump roast is getting harder and harder .  

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@ECBG   My Mom would use a nice thick chuck roast and put potatoes and carrots around the roast, add some onions a little water and then sprinkle a package of Lipton dry onion soup mix all over the roast, potatoes and carrots.  Then cover and bake at 350 for 3 hrs.  I still make mine this way also.

@hayseed00 Oh thank you!  Next time I'm going to do your recepie for something a little new!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Nadine O wrote:

Mom used a 5 pound rump roast.  She added carrots, onions, salt, pepper, one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of burgundy wine.  She put it in the oven before church at 350 degrees and when we got home from Sunday school and church, the roast was done. (about 3 1/2 hours.)  We made mashed potatoes and a vegetable.  We still make it that way but getting a rump roast is getting harder and harder .  

@Nadine O This sounds ultra yummy, but did you mean a "can" of burgandy?  Many thanks!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Doubt if there was an actual recipe. Meat was a rump roast from my grandpa's cattle. Some garden vegetables would be added. I remember the gravy being made with cornstarch and a darkening agent called Kitchen Bouquet.

Super Contributor

Now I am hankering for a pot roast.  I don't remember my mom using a recipe, but I do remember that there were no tomatoes.  There were carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery.  I don't remember her cooking it on the stove top.  I remember her taking it out of the oven. I could be remebering that part wrong. Mostly, I remember the smells, the taste and how tender the meat was.  I will ask her if she remembers how she made it.