Honored Contributor

Re: What Was The Pot Roast Recipe You Grew Up With?

[ Edited ]

4-5 lb boneless beef chuck roast, 2 onions, peeled and quartered, 3 cloves garlic smashed, 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, 4 lb medium Yukon gold potatoes, washed and quartered, 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes crushed

3 sprigs thyme, leaves torn, 1 bay leaf, 2 cup beef stock (plus up to 1 cup more if needed) 2 tbsp olive oil, sliced green onions to garnish, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

That recipe looks a lot like my mother's except she did not use the soup. She used tomato sauce and sometimes she added crushed tomatoes, since it cooked for hours in the slow cooker. I don't eat meat anymore but, YUM! That was a good memory😊.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

• @SandySparkles Funny Story.   Our young don went to a friend's home to spend the night.  The mother made meatloaf and as most do, put catsup on it.  He thought it was SO weird!  
  • I explained to him that we were the odd ones!  Most of the time meatloaf had tomato on it!!!!!  You should have seen his face!!!!
Honored Contributor

My mother never ever made a pot roast either.

I have made them but I use a good roast, carrots, onions, whole potatoes and sit the roast on celery.  For liquid I use a can of tomatoes.

I have never heard of using soup in a pot roast.  But then I am not very familiar with pot roast either.  I guess maybe mom made what you'd call a pot roast was a roast with the veggies cooked around it and done in a roaster with foil around the roast.  She didn't put liquid in it.  

But no on the stove pot roast ever.  But we had our own beef and ALL the chuck went into ground beef that was extra lean--I guess they trimmed the chuck. 

Respected Contributor

It was AWFUL and we had it almost every Sunday.

Everything was terribly overcooked. Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions. All of them were mush. The only way I could get it down was to cover it in either ketchup or barbeque sauce. The thought of it makes me gag. 

Fortunately, Dad finally spoke up and asked Mom to stop making it. I think it was probably a habit for her because it was what she had grown up with. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Yes, my Mom made pot roast. She usually cooked by herself as the kitchen wasn’t very big. I think it was meat, potatoes, carrots and liquid.  When it finished cooking she made a gravy. I know she never used canned soup as she rarely bought cans of anything as we couldn’t afford it.

Esteemed Contributor

Pot roast was a winter staple on Sunday when I was growing up. Mom (or dad) would put a chuck roast in one of those speckled roasting pans with a lid, along with quartered potatoes, carrots and parsnips....plus some basic seasonings. She'd put it in the roaster oven early and it would cook until we got back home from church service. Sometimes she'd make mashed potatoes, but she'd always make a wonderful gravy in the pan from the liquid. Nice memories! Nothing fancy, but oh so good!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

That recipe looks a lot like my mother's except she did not use the soup. She used tomato sauce and sometimes she added crushed tomatoes, since it cooked for hours in the slow cooker. I don't eat meat anymore but, YUM! That was a good memory😊.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

• @SandySparkles Funny Story.   Our young don went to a friend's home to spend the night.  The mother made meatloaf and as most do, put catsup on it.  He thought it was SO weird!  
  • I explained to him that we were the odd ones!  Most of the time meatloaf had tomato on it!!!!!  You should have seen his face!!!!

I am still laughing.😂😂😂-poor little guy.😁  My mother loved growing and cooking tomatoes. She even cooked fried green tomatoes sometimes. As a child I did not appreciate them, but as an adult, I LOVE them when done right.😋

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I am still laughing.😂😂😂-poor little guy.😁  My mother loved growing and cooking tomatoes. She even cooked fried green tomatoes sometimes. As a child I did not appreciate them, but as an adult, I LOVE them when done right.😋

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles  My Dad had a small garden and made fried green tomatoes. He broiled them instead of frying.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles  My Dad had a small garden and made fried green tomatoes. He broiled them instead of frying.

In the words of Blanche Devereaux, "Yum...I said yum".😉

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

Mom made, what we called pot roast, with the beef, potatoes, carrots and maybe some onion.  This was normally done in the crockpot with water and beef broth.  She wasn't one to use a lot of herbs & seasonings so I'm sure it was just S&P.  My version of this is actually a beef stew but I do use onion and use red potatoes or the small tri-colored potatoes.  I use beef broth, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, S&P and I think it has some oregano in it too.  I got the recipe from Pinterest.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown