Trusted Contributor

Re: What Recipes Did You Miss Getting When You Were Young?

All of them.😞 My Mother passed away at 42 unexpectedly and I was like well 21 and not Cooking. Now I try to create from memory or at least come close to what she Cooked.
Respected Contributor

My Grandma's blueberry pie. Yummy, yummy, yummy.... Never to this day have had any other one that is quite that good! 

And, my other Grandma's perogie's - another yummy in the tummy!!

Both ladies were good cooks, nothing fancy, just good ol' fashion home cooking at it's best. ❤️

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

german chocolate pie

Trusted Contributor

Several of you have mention pound cake, and that's what I was recalling too.  My Grandmother made a delicious pound cake.  I asked her several times for the recipe, and she would always act mysterious and refused to share it because of its "secret" ingredients.  She died at 101 years old and took her recipe to the grave.  I wish that I could bake that pound cake and remember my Grandmother fondly...as it is, I see a thread like this and it reminds me of the many ways she was NOT a kind or generous woman.  Makes me feel a bit sad and wistful.

Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

I can make pretty much everything served in our family, and still cook from scratch most of the time.  I'm pretty good at duplicating many recipes, but there is one that still eludes me - Burnt sugar cake and frosting.

It was the mother of a childhood friend who made this.  I hoped it would be on the menu whenever I slept over at her house. I loved that cake, and have tried several recipes I've found over the years, but none of them are like what she made.  They are either too dry, or not flavorful enough.  I've gotten close on the frosting, but the cake remains a mystery.

@Anita Hug,A lot of those cooks used pound cake which they frosted.  Was her cake one or two layers?  You might remember frosting in the middle.

Respected Contributor

Mother, Grandmother, Aunts, etc, never used recipes, so you would have had to watch them cook, I learned some that way but not all, unfortunately, I don't think they even really knew what a recipe was, they just cooked very good I must say

Honored Contributor

My mom wasn't big on "other people" in her kitchen so a lot of what she made so well is gone.  Recently I would love to recreate her simple dishes like her spaghetti and meatballs and what we called Beef BBQ (think Sloppy Joe's).  She did not follow the standard recipes but I will try this winter to recreate both of them.

Honored Contributor

When we had potato pancakes at our house we always had them with a sweet & sour pork in gravy that was just delicious and I never thought to get the recipe from my Mom. Potato pancakes are just not the same without that meat and the gravy on the pancakes.

Super Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Anita Hug,A lot of those cooks used pound cake which they frosted.  Was her cake one or two layers?  You might remember frosting in the middle.

It was definitelty layer cake and there was a hint of burnt sugar flavor in the cake also (not just in the frosting).   Her cake was lighter than pound cake. We made a lot of pound cakes at home.  Now I'm in the mood for that, too!  

How is it that I can remember in exact detail how that cake tasted, but I couldn't tell you what my friends last name was?  I thought about looking her up online, but for the life of me, I can't remember the last name. Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Divinity?  It has pecans.

Mama's Divinity