Respected Contributor

Re: What Recipes Did You Miss Getting When You Were Young?

My Mother's recipe for beef stroganoff ( the best ever) and Aunt A's recipe for potato salad.  I've tried to duplicate them, but never quite the same,

Honored Contributor

One thing I did notice from my DMIL's foods, she usually sprinkled some sugar in the mix, which wasn't really an ingredient.

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal My grandmother always put a teaspoon of sugar in everything she cooked, even vegetables.

Honored Contributor

I think most recipes are pretty much duplicate-able (sp?) with a little trial and error, even if seasonings are "to taste".  There are SO many recipes on the internet to compare to ones we already have.

What I don't understand is why a mother or grandmother wouldn't want to share their recipes with family members?   Is this just another version of parental withholding?  lol  

Valued Contributor

Though my grandmother taught me to cook, she didn't teach my mother.  My mother learned to cook from the Fanny Farmer Cookbook, when she had to cook when she married.  I think mom just wasn't interested in cooking.

Honored Contributor

I am pretty sure everything my mother made had Campbell's soup in them so I am not sorry I missed them.  She was not a good cook but I did not realize that until a grew up.  

Respected Contributor

My mother made something she just referred to as grandma's noodles.  From what I remember it was pretty much just egg noodles, (stewed?) tomatoes and bacon.  I've never even tried to make it because I'm sure if I just throw those three things together, it won't be the same.  

Frequent Contributor

My mom's stewed tomatoes, a friend's stewed apples with dumplings dropped in, a friend's sweet n sour meatballs, the mom up the street's potato salad.

Oh Yum!

Respected Contributor

My mother was a fantastic cook and sadly for me I did not have any interest at all.  She made the best "perlo" which really is chicken and rice, baked goods from scratch which included the fluffiest biscuits ever, pineapple upside down cake in her cast iron skillet, and the list goes on.  The only thing I recall that I did not like were her turnip greens.  There were no recipes to hand down but now I wish there were.  I inherited the gene for cleaning LOL.  I guess that's better than nothing.  

Honored Contributor

The only recipe I don't have, and cannot find, is a rolled, and chocolate dipped candy my aunt used to make.   My mother does not remember this candy, and my memory of it is from about 55 years ago.   No one in the family is familiar with what I'm talking about; even my cousins who would have been in and out of my grandparents house do not remember getting this candy out of the refrigerator.    It did not have confectionary sugar and peanut butter like a buckeye ball.