Honored Contributor

Re: What Makes Your Perfect Tossed Salad?

ranch dressing, shredded cheese, croutons, real bacon bits

Trusted Contributor

Mesclun mix, Red bell pepper, cucumber, garbanzos, fresh fennel sliced thin, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds, really good ev olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, fresh ground pepper.

Respected Contributor

No bagged mix. If I use iceberg, I cut it into cubes (I know I know, they say don't cut lettuce. Nonsense.) If using leaf head lettuce, chiffonade cut.

Cut up tomato, mild onion, bell pepper (yellow or orange), cucumber (peeled.) And it must be my own dressing, not bottled. French Vinaigrette with herbs.

Respected Contributor

Salad DRESSING.....and lots of it!

Honored Contributor

Romaine with various vegetables, cheese, croutons, dressing.
Frequent Contributor

Crumbled Maytag blue cheese, dried cranberries, walnuts, light vinaigrette on any kind of greens
Valued Contributor

Fresh iceberg lettuce; thin sliced salami, ham and provolone cheese layered, then rolled up and cut into 1 inch slices; artichoke hearts; marinated red onion rings; garbanzo beans; green and black olives all topped with a zesty Italian dressing. Pepperoncinis, if desired, on the side.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely mandatory is cold lettuce, no matter what kind, preferably soaked in ice water first. It makes all greens crisper. After that I'm open to tomatoes, cukes, mild onions, egg slices, breaded crisp chicken bites, pine nuts, just about anything. Favorite dressings are ranch and blue cheese. I pick and avoid certain restaurants on the caliber of their lettuce treatment.

Respected Contributor

I like a little crunch, a little sweet, a little sour and a little salty in my salads...

Super Contributor

I never liked salad until a couple years ago. Ruth Heidrich inspired me to work on it, and now salad is my absolute favorite meal.

What "makes" it perfect for me is a lettuce that is crunchy and full of water. Although that would be iceberg, I don't buy iceberg because it's almost void of nutrition. So, I look for organic romaine and include as much of the ribs as possible, along with the dark leafy part.

To the base of cold, crunchy, and full-of-water lettuce, I add the healthful greens, like shredded kale, watercress, arugula, whatever is available and organic at the market.

Lots of red cabbage. It's so wonderful in the winter months!!! Sometimes a few beans.

For sweet I add yellow, orange or red bell peppers. So sweet, crunchy!

Fresh herbs - mint, parsley leaves.

Then, additions for color and nutrition, and that varies. Yesterday I was blessed with sweet organic carrots, so added a bunch.

Ususally I top with lightly toasted pumpkin seed or pine nuts.

Dressing, always working on that. I make my own.

About 6 cups of small-chopped salad at least once a day for me. It's a rule! - Bird