Honored Contributor

Re: Went to take my collection down some more.

I find it odd that it seems more to be the men in or lives who are the hoarders.  Wonder why - what does this say about them.

I know why we women are not - we're the ones who have to keep the dust collectors dusted!!!  LOL - or NOT!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal Yes I agree on asking your daughter one more time.  If she then says she no longer wants they stuff THEN out if goes. 

Pls don't do what my mom did to my & my sister.  She never asked us, she just tossed many memories in the trash literally.  My sis & I are still heart broken over some of the stuff that we really wanted.  Hopefully, you are not like my mother.

Valued Contributor

It's the familiar "my mom threw out all my baseball cards" refrain. I do believe men are the worst when it comes to retention, and not because of sentiment. Just habit maybe. When we downsized, my husband had tall file cabinets full of receipts dating back to our early marriage days (we had been married 40 years at that point). It took one big garage sale, two dumpsters full of stuff, and lots of donations to clear out the detritus.And I continue to get rid of "stuff."

Getting rid of all those dust-accumulators frees up the mind!

Honored Contributor

It feels so freeing to be rid of no longer used items.  My father was the saver in the family.  When he passed, my mother wanted to clean out the cellar.  It was full of stuff that nobody wanted.  It took me a couple years and dumpsters to do it.  A couple years later my sister got divorced and moved in with my mother.  She filed the cellar with her stuff.  It was a sad day to see all my hard work go to waste.