Respected Contributor

I've written before about my love of Panzanella .  I made a large bowlful for dinner last night, and savored every bite.  Today, I found this recipe for Watermelon Panzanella. 

With some of the the leftover 'fixins' from the original version, I made this one for dinner tonight.  With the changes I made*, preparation and cooking time was nowhere near the 40 minutes stated here.  I'd estimate mine took about half that much time.

Well!  I have a new love.  In spite of the similarities, there is enough difference between the two dishes to enjoy them within a day or two of each other.

Pork Tenderloin with Watermelon Panzanella

Active: 40 minutes    Total:   40 minutes

Typically panzanella is made with tomatoes and dressing-soaked bread cubes.  Here, the salad goes sweet and savory but keeps the same look with ripe watermelon.  Spring for your favorite bread–it has a starring role in this dish.

1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 slices crusty whole-wheat bread (10 ounces)
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Zest and Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
6 cups chopped watermelon
½ cup thinly sliced red onion
½ cup torn fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Season pork with chili powder, pepper and salt.  Grill the pork, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 140º F, 12 to 14 minutes.  Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.

Grill bread until charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side.  When cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.

Meanwhile, whisk oil, lime zest, lime juice and jalapeño in a large bowl.  Add watermelon, onion, basil, Feta and the bread and toss to coat.

Slice pork ½-inch thick and serve with the watermelon panzanella.

Serves 4: 3 oz. Pork & 2 cups panzanella each

CAL: 396 / FAT: 16G (SAT 4G) / CHOL: 82MG / CARBS: 35G / TOTAL SUGARS: 17G (Added 0G) /  PROTEIN: 30G / FIBER: 2G / SODIUM: 485MG / POTASSIUM: 819MG

*Mrs. G's notes:  I made a few adaptations:
1.  I used a chicken breast instead of the pork tenderloin, and cooked the chicken indoors, stovetop.  (Still used the chili powder rub, though.)
2.  I had leftover French bread from the original version, so used it.  As is suggested in the Panzanella recipe, I recommend allowing the salad to sit for about 30 minutes to allow the toasted, crusty bread to soak in the great juices.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Something has been bothering me about posting this recipe -- have I already posted it?  Then I realized how very close this is to a recipe for Watermelon Feta Salad that I posted last month.  Although slight, the difference is that this one is a main dish size salad, whereas the one from July was a first course use.   

Either way, you can't lose, imho.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.