Respected Contributor

Variations of this recipe have been shared before in this forum, but I believe it is worth bringing up again for the remainder of the Summer.  Other recipes have included greens, e.g., arugula and/or spinach, but I truly don't feel they are either necessary or would be particularly beneficial to the dish. 

One of my guests described it as, "light and refreshing," which, since I was serving a heavy (steak) dinner, was exactly what I wanted.   On a scale of 1-5, I'd grade this one four stars.  It's a keeper.

Watermelon Feta Salad
from delish.com | June 6, 2019

Tips from their test kitchen:  We love the saltiness and crumbliness of feta, but if you're not a fan, fresh mozzarella balls or goat cheese would work, too. To take some of the bite out of red onions, soak the slices in water for about 15 minutes. 

YIELDS:  4  servings   TOTAL PREP TIME:  10 MINS

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1 cup medium cucumber, chopped
1 cup crumbled feta
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup coarsely chopped mint
Flaky sea salt, for garnish (optional)

In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt. 

In a large serving bowl, combine watermelon, cucumber, feta, red onion, and mint. Pour over dressing, tossing to combine.

Garnish with more mint and flaky sea salt. 

Mrs. G's notes:  I am not big on mint, but suggest you do not omit it here.  The flavor does contribute to the salad. Use a little less, perhaps, according to your taste for it.

Also, I've read that white balsamic vinegar is acceptable for the vinaigrette.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG  Perfect salad in many versions now that temps even here in the Northeast are hovering in the high 80's into 90's.  Thanks for this version.

Respected Contributor

That sounds light and refreshing. And considering the heat index is gonna be over 100 today that would hit the spot. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Watermelon Feta Salad

[ Edited ]

I seed the cukes with a spoon first, to eliminate  all of the seeds and water. I also add pistachio nuts ,and a drop of honey to the  vinaigrette

Respected Contributor

@cherry   Peeling and seeding cucumbers makes digestion a little easier for folks, so is a good habit to follow whenever they're used.   I did so in this salad, but failed to mention it as assumption everybody does it. 

I also saw the version of recipe that calls for pistachios and honey.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I replace the chopped cucumber with chopped kalamata olives.  Also use about a tsp of sugar in my dressing.  I prefer a white wine vinegar in this dish.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  I also add back olives. I don't like feta much ,so, I am going to use mozzarella next time

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @IamMrsG  always looking for a new salad for summer.