Respected Contributor

Re: Warning posted at grocery store

@house_cat wrote:

I was just telling DH this morning that the price of eggs has gone haywire.  Thanks for posting. I didn't know the reason for it.

I confess to being a lazy shopper and not paying much attention to prices.  I just looked at yesterday's register receipt.  I paid $2.49 for a dozen of large (white) eggs.   How does that compare to yours?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I imagine the same will happen with frozen vegetables also.  I don't use canned, but do use frozen corn and peas.  Produce has always been expensive here, but I think this year it is more.  I buy canned tomatoes from Italy, San Marzano, and the boxed, so should be safe on this item.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Bummer for everybody.  Smiley Sad

I try to purchase California produce as much as possible and also have been known to use some Del Monte products.    It seems like I might be the only one, but Del Monte Ketchup is the only one I buy.  The other one, that seems to be the #1 popular brand, tastes like straight-up vinegar to me.

As for another pumpkin shortage - no es bueno.  I buy a lot of canned pumpkin puree, as Ru gets a spoonful with his breakfast each day, plus I make a pie or cake, or quick bread every now and then, plus I use it in the 'birdie bread' that I make for the bird.  

What I've been doing is to purchase a whole year's supply at the beginning of every fall so that I don't have to worry about it for the year.  This last fall I seem to have over-bought so maybe that will work out.

If pumpkin runs out, chickenbutt, you can use yams for your dog, as I do.    I cook them in the toaster oven.  I was going to also suggest squash, which I use, but if pumpkins will be scarce, maybe this will be affected also.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness I only buy local produce! I eat fresh and can the excess that I buy. So go ahead Dole and Del Monte it won't affect me at all.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Wow, sad.  I've been praying for California since seeing the levels of the lakes and rivers with the bridges.  They need rain but not so much that it will cause flooding and slides.  It will take a steady, consistent rain over time to bring the levels back up.  It is really scary.  I will let my DH know.  He buys the canned tomatoes.  I also concerned  about the animals and fires...

Honored Contributor

The drought out west and the excessive rain and lack of sunshine here in the NE is no doubt to blame. People will have to tighten their belts for certain. It will be a long , long winter. Maybe the rains will diminish and we will get something from the vegetable crops here in the east. Right now the farmers fields look like swamps.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Is this because of the drought in California?  The only canned product I usually buy is diced tomatoes - maybe I better stock up!

I think canned and fresh will be affected.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think canned and fresh will be affected.

Canned, fresh or frozen, it's all vegetables and/or fruit and will be effected.

RE:  frozen corn.  Buy local / fresh, cook it your preferred way, then cut the kernels off the cob.  Freeze it, and enjoy it all winter as fresh tasting corn.  I freeze ours in 3 cob quantities.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I confess to being a lazy shopper and not paying much attention to prices.  I just looked at yesterday's register receipt.  I paid $2.49 for a dozen of large (white) eggs.   How does that compare to yours?

Mrs. G - I bought a dozen large eggs for Dad this week - here's my receipt.

kroger eggs.jpgThose were the cheapest I could find.

I usually buy the organic/cage free for my house. Here's this week's ad:

organic eggs.jpg

This is a good price for the organics, but it's a trip across town to get to this store.  I usually pay at least $5.49 for these.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

Mrs. G - I bought a dozen large eggs for Dad this week - here's my receipt.

kroger eggs.jpgThose were the cheapest I could find.

I usually buy the organic/cage free for my house. Here's this week's ad:

organic eggs.jpg

This is a good price for the organics, but it's a trip across town to get to this store.  I usually pay at least $5.49 for these.

I buy eggs at Costco.  Brown and I think Omega 3.  18 eggs to a carton.  I am going Monday.  I will have to pay attention to what I pay.