Respected Contributor

Warm Steakhouse Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing

[ Edited ]

This was dinner tonight.  Yum!   If you're still among us, thank you @Chi-towngirl!

Warm Steakhouse Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing 

09/23/2014| QVC Recipe Swap | by Chi-town girl | Sara Moulton

Makes 4 Servings

Hands-On Time: 30 Minutes Total Preparation Time: 35 Minutes

1 pound russet Potatoes (2 medium)
5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
One 1 1/4 to 1 ½ pounds beef sirloin steak (about 1 ½ inches thick)
1 large onion
Blue Cheese Dressing (recipe follows) or store bought dressing
5 oz baby spinach (about 8 cups packed)

Scrub and peel the potatoes. Grate using the shredding disc of a food processor. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a 12- inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the potatoes and press down to make one big potato pancake. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes on the first side, pressing down frequently with a spatula, or until golden. Invert the pancake onto a baking sheet, add 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, and slide the pancake back into the skillet, uncooked side down. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Season both sides of the pancake with salt and pepper to taste once they have been cooked.

At the same time, in a separate medium skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over high heat until hot. Season the steak with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to medium-high, add the steak to the skillet, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer the steak to a plate, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and set aside. Set aside the skillet.

While the steak is cooking, halve and thinly slice the onion (about 2 cups). Add 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil and the onion to the steak drippings in the pan; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Stir the steak juices from the steak plate into the onion.

While the onion is cooking, prepare the Blue Cheese Dressing.

To serve, cut the potato pancake into 4 wedges and place each on a dinner plate. Top each wedge with sliced steak, onion, spinach, and Blue Cheese Dressing.

Blue Cheese Dressing
Combine 2 Tablespoons sherry vinegar, 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, and 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard in a blender; press in ½ garlic clove (about ½ teaspoon). With the blender running, add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil in a stream until the mixture has emulsified. Add 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese (about 3/4 cup) and 1/3 cup sour cream; blend until the mixture is well mixed. Add water, if necessary, to reach the desired consistency and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in extra blue cheese to taste, if desired.

Mrs. G's notes: I used Irish Cashel Blue with excellent results.
Wine: Choose a Powerful red.  For this evening, we used a Malbec, Shiraz, Tempranillo, Merlot blend – it was overpowered by the blue cheese.

I confess that when I read, "While you're doing this, do another thing" throughout the recipe, I said, "Hmmph, there's no way."    I am neither a 1-woman band nor enjoy a 3 ring circus.  So I made the dressing first and put it in the refrigerator before moving on to the rest of the recipe.

After making the potato pancake, I held it in a warm oven while I moved on to the steak and onions.  Like apples, raw potatoes will oxidize (turn brown) if left open to the air.  It is best to keep them submerged in water, even while you grate them. (I used a box grater.) The important thing about frying potatoes is to get them as dry as you can before putting them into the skillet. Put the thoroughly drained shreds onto a large dish towel and start twisting it over the sink.  If you are a weakling like me, do it in two steps. Keep twisting the towel to get those potatoes as dry as you can, then proceed to frying them.

Sherry vinegar can be hard to find in the store.  A good substitution is to combine sherry wine (it doesn't need to be a good one) with balsamic vinegar.  I guesstimate a 2-1 ratio (sherry to balsamic).  

Edited to correct Cashel spelling.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Warm Steakhouse Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing

IamMrsG...

That sounds like a Yummy Salad indeed...Maybe I will try it this weekend?  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG - this is one of our favorite recipes! Thx for reposting with your revisions. I usually make a side dish of sliced mushrooms sautéed in butter & garlic, goes great with steak. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl   We had this for dinner again tonight.  I still thank you for the recipe.  It is a delicious meal.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Chi-town girl   We had this for dinner again tonight.  I still thank you for the recipe.  It is a delicious meal.  

@IamMrsG lol, we had this last weekend. It's an awesome summer meal! Glad you're enjoying it!!!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl  Not to prolong the thread, but I had to come back and tell you how fantastic the leftovers (sans the bleu cheese dressing) of this dish are for breakfast.  It's just DH and me here, so I either cut back recipes or plan on leftovers.  

The first time I tried your recipe, we had a little of everything leftover, so I expected it this time.  This morning I rewarmed the steak, pancake and onions, stacked them with a little spinach and slid two sunny-side-up eggs on top.   YUM!  

Edited because I forgot to include the spinach.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Chi-town girl  Not to prolong the thread, but I had to come back and tell you how fantastic the leftovers (sans the bleu cheese dressing) of this dish are for breakfast.  It's just DH and me here, so I either cut back recipes or plan on leftovers.  

The first time I tried your recipe, we had a little of everything leftover, so I expected it this time.  This morning I rewarmed the steak, pancake and onions, stacked them with a little spinach and slid two sunny-side-up eggs on top.   YUM!  

Edited because I forgot to include the spinach.

@IamMrsG - your idea for bfast leftovers sounds delish! Love steak & eggs

Frequent Contributor

I have been making a version of this recipe for years, except I use grilled romaine lettuce, and also add avocado and grilled corn.  Yum! 

Respected Contributor

@islandergirl  I have an old recipe for Pork Tenderloin with grilled Grapes and Romaine that we like quite a lot.  In fact, it's on this week's menu (with a note to grill extra Romaine).  

At this typing, I am using the leftover Blue Cheese Dressing from this original post to marinate chicken breasts for dinner this evening,  Blue Baked Chicken with Spanish Rice.