Respected Contributor

Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

What is your best fruitcake recipe?  And for those of you who use rum or brandy, what is a good brand to buy?  I have looked back through old fruitcake recipe threads, but there hasn't been one in awhile that I could find.  So since there are likely new members on the forums, I thought I would start a new post. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

Odd one out here, but I love a homemade, dark one.  Been several years since I have made one.

What I have found is the fruit available at the grocery has gone downhill.  Just a waste of eggs and butter.

I am thinking of ordering fruit online.

Honored Contributor

I tasted a lot of different kinds of fruitcake, homemade, too, haven't found one better than Beatrice's Grandma's Fruit and Nut cake sold on QVC.

It is a 100 year old recipe from the owner's grandmother.  

It has real bourbon, dark rum, and 84 proof brandy.  Light batter.

I thought I had found the best one made by Collin's in 
Texas that makes fruitcakes for the White House, but Beatrice's is much better.  

Honored Contributor

It's so much work and so very expensive to make fruitcake, I think most people now buy those made by commercial bakeries.  You can buy them that are as good as homemade and are a better bargain.  You can put a lot of time and money into baking only to have the product come out dry or unsatisfactory.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Meyer's Rum which is dark is good for fruitcake.  I probably would just use a common brandy if I used it.  I do have some recipes somewhere.  I'd have to find them.

Respected Contributor

@toria , thank you for the rum/brandy recommendations!  

Respected Contributor

OP here...I know how expensive it would be to make one, and I have bought them in the past--in fact, I am eating one right now that came from Assumption Abbey (delicious), but I would like to make one.  Can be dark or light as I am open to all recipes!

Esteemed Contributor

: Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

I like to bake but I'd never try a fruitcake ( especially since my family has been buying from Collin Street Bakery since I was a kid and I'm definitely no kid!).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

RecipeBox_Fruitcake_i.jpgHave made this fruitcake for years.  Found it on the back of a jar of None Such Mincemeat.  It's deliciously moist and tasty.  

Holiday Fruitcake Recipe

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 jar (28 ounces) Borden None Such Mincemeat (Borden's None Such Mincemeat comes in two flavors...the regular and then one with Brandy.  I choose the brandy one)
1 can (15 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 cups mixed candied fruit
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 300°F. Butter 9-inch tube or Bundt pan; set aside.

Combine eggs, mincemeat, sweetened condensed milk, nuts and fruit. Fold in dry ingredients.

Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 2 hours.

** I make it weeks ahead and keep it covered and in a cool place wrapped in rum soaked cheesecloth.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

I love a loaded dark fruitcake but I agree with @Kachina624 , they take hours to make.  I LOVE to cook and bake.  I made one about 10 years ago and it took almost 6 hours from start to finish.  While it was delicious it was definitely NOT worth the time and I wouldn't do it again.  There's a lot more to making a fruitcake than mixing and baking, there's several other steps.  Several commercial fruitcakes are far better and less aggravation.  I will look tonight for the recipe if you want it.  I see a recipe here but 2 cups of fruit isn't nearly enough plus you need 2 types of raisins.