Respected Contributor

@Re: Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

@Ainhisg  LoL You know in all these years making the recipe, I never gave it a thought it could mean two different things with the sifted flour.   I just spoon the flour into measuring cups, level it off and then sift it using a mesh, metal strainer as I don't own a flour sifter any long.  So, yes, it's definitely sifted after it's measured out.  To be honest, it's a very forgiving recipe.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Re: @Re: Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

@ciao_bella , thank you!  I had the best home ec teacher.  (This tells you how old I am that they were called home ec teachers back in the day...lol)  She always said that if it said sifted first (2 cups sifted flour), that you sifted and then measured.  If it said sifted last (2 cups flour, sifted), then you measured and then sifted.  I found the mincemeat fruitcake recipe several places online, and it has the word sifted before flour.  But yet down in the recipe, it says to sift the flour and baking soda together, so I wondered as it does affect the amount of flour in the recipe if you sift first.  

I have a flour sifter but never use it.  Like you, I prefer to use a mesh strainer.  

Nowhere around here has the mincemeat with brandy, so I guess I'll use the regular mincemeat.  I'm going to make your recipe and one other.  It will be fun to try different ones.  I'm not a picky eater, so even if one is not quite what I expected, I will eat it and move on to the next recipe.

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to answer my inquiries!  Have a blessed day! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

@Ainhisg I meant to mention earlier, if you like a fruitcake with lots of candied fruit and nuts and less cake, I would definitely add more candied or dry fruit and nuts into this cake.  My mother always liked it that way and when I made one for her, I added probably 2 additional cups of additional candied fruits/nuts.  It always turned out great!  She loved it!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Colin Street Bakery.   Why make one when you can buy the best?   😏😏

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

OP here.  Gosh, I was disappointed to see that there had been a new post on my thread with no recommendation for a recipe.  Oh, well.  To answer your question, my favorite hobby is cooking and baking.  I love fruitcake and wanted to see if I could make one as good if not better than those I've purchased. (My most recently purchased fruitcake was a fruticake from Assumption Abbey in Missouri, and it was insanely delicious!)  I've already made one recipe generously given on this thread, and it was good.  The ingredients cost the same as purchasing one, but it made two fruitcakes. I weighed them, and they weighed 2 pounds each making the total cost half of a purchased fruitcake. One cake is almost gone, and the other is in the freezer.  I am now on to the next recipe; this is so fun to do!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I agree and especially since Collins Street is only about a 30 min. drive for me.  Too bad I do not like fruit cake but boy do they have other wonders!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Autumn Cake recipe sounds wonderful. I like that it contains no flour, just the Graham crackers.I may try and make this around Thanksgiving. If it turns out well, I may make another one and give as a gift. Is the baking temp 300 or 325? Both are listed in your recipe. 

Respected Contributor

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

The Autumn Cake recipe sounds wonderful. I like that it contains no flour, just the Graham crackers.I may try and make this around Thanksgiving. If it turns out well, I may make another one and give as a gift. Is the baking temp 300 or 325? Both are listed in your recipe. 

Thanks for catching my mistake.  Sorry 'bout that.

The recipe I had was clipped from the newspaper and has faded until I can't read it.  However, I do believe the original cake was baked in a glass 9x13 dish....cooking in glass you lower the temp.

I used the tube pan because that is what I had.  I clecked online and found several cakes similar and that is my conclusion.  Hope you try it!  It's good!

Found this one online---

AUTUMN FRUIT CAKE

2 sticks butter
2 c. sugar (brown)
5 eggs
1 lb. crushed graham crackers
1 c. coconut
1 c. crushed pineapple, drained
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 c. nuts

raisins (optional)

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add cracker crumbs, pineapple, coconut and baking powder. Mix well and add nuts. Bake in greased angel food or bundt pan. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes at 325 degrees.

Found exactlyt he same recipe, "Out of this world cake" in a cookbook.  

Says cook in long pan at 350 degrees for 35-40 mins.  A bit confusing.  

Timing seems to be, "Do you want a moist or dry cake?"  Time accordingly.

It did add this:  

TOPPING:

1 15 oz can crushed pineapple

1 cup sugar

4T flour

Cook until thick.  Pour over warm cake!

Not that sounds interesting!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank You so much for letting us know this recipe from KaySD.   I found it and printed it for my future use.  My grandma used to make one but she used really sweet junky fruit as I called it.. This recipe sounds delicious.