Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wanted! Your Best Fruitcake Recipe!

Awwww, come on @Tinkrbl44! You can surely see from the comments that there are people who love a good fruit cake, and while I hadn't planned on commenting, my hubby and I are included in this group! No need to throw in a negative comment to a topic that everyone else was enjoying!

Honored Contributor

Ladies, enjoy.  I never cared for candied fruit.

Respected Contributor

@BLH   Oh, please do post yours.  It is so enjoyable to see different folk's takes on recipes.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

I am trying the Beatrice Fruitcake this year due to the many positive remarks for it.

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper Me, too!  Can't wait!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Ainhisg 

This thread really took me by surprise .....  since fruitcakes are practically the top discarded holiday gift,  why waste money on something that ends up in someone's garbage?   JMO   

@Tinkrbl44   Your reply took me by surprise at the insensitivity and negativity.  

To many people the fruitcake DOES NOT end up in the garbage.    There are many delicious fruitcakes one can bake or purchase.  

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter @ciao_bella  I'm intrigued with mincemeat having never cooked with it before.  Does this fruitcake recipe create a heavy fruitcake?  Or is it lighter like a banana or pumpkin bread?  Could more fruit or nuts be added without affecting the end result?

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg  I would say this fruitcake is on the heavier/denser side.  I think adding extra fruit/nuts would be fine.  I've even added a little apricot brandy to the mixture.  I think you'll be fine with the results.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

My DH is from the ''''old-old''' school - and every Christmas, he always asks for a  JANE PARKER FRUITCAKE .   They were sold in the old ''A & P Stores, back in the day.  There are sold on Amazon.com with good reviews.  I don't eat fruit cakes so I can't give you my opinion - but he loves them.

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella, OP again.  Do you sift the flour before measuring or measure and then sift?  TY!