1 1/2 teaspoons berbere (see Note)
Kosher salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 450°. On a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the berbere; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the orange zest and juice. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
  3. In a skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the pecans and toast over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, 3 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a bowl and stir in the sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of berbere.
  4. Arrange the squash on a platter and drizzle the dressing on top. Scatter the cranberries and spiced nuts over the squash and serve warm.

MAKE AHEAD The dish can be made up to 4 hours ahead; serve at room temperature. 

Berbere is a spice mixture whose constituent elements usually include chili peppers, garlic, ginger, basil, korarima, rue, ajwain or radhuni, nigella, and fenugreek. It is a key ingredient in the cuisines of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Berbere sometimes encompasses herbs and spices that are less well known internationally. Wikipedia
Honored Contributor

Re: Wanted: Roasted Butternut Squash recipes

Roasted Butternut Squash with Raspberries

Prep Time:10 minutes

Cook Time:45 minutes

Servings:4

Raspberries - fragrant and delicate - complement the earthy flavors and rich texture in the squash. Butternut squash is also a good source of beta-carotene. Save time by purchasing pre-cut butternut squash if you want.

Ingredients

• 1 small butternut squash (1-1/2 pounds, or one 16 ounces package cubes)
  • 1 tablespoon butter, cut in pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Raspberries
  •  
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Peel, seed and cut squash into 1-inch chunks.
  3. Place squash and butter in a 2-quart or 9x9-inch baking dish.
  4. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, uncovered, until squash is just tender, stirring once or twice.
  5. Sprinkle sugar and ginger over squash.
  6. Gently stir in raspberries.
  7. Return to oven and bake uncovered 5 minutes or until bubbly.
  8. Serve warm.
Super Contributor

So, I am lazy....any recipes work to roast the squash when you just cut it in half and seed it?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkOutsidetheBox

I've never tried using such a large squash, but I'm willing to guess this will work, same as it does for  acorn squash halves, which are smaller..

Cut squash in half, scoop  out seeds.

Baste with oil and salt  & pepper to taste

In the cavity, put some butter, a little cinnamon or nutmeg or both, and some brown sugar or maple syrup.

If using a ceramic or glass baking dish instead of metal, I'd put a little liquid or broth in the bottom, to spread out the heat.

Cover pan or baking dish with foil and roast at 375-400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.

Remove foil,  baste juices over the squash, continue roasting  without foil until the color and  texture seem satisfactory.

Adjust both cook times (under foil and without) until squash looks good to you.

Maybe someone has a better idea.  

Trusted Contributor

More often than not, I will buy butternut squash already cubed at Trader' Joe's.  I roast them with olive oil, garlic and Bell's Poultry Seasoning.  The spices in this poultry seasioning are perfect for this squash-- not to mention how deliciously fragrant it leaves your kitchen smelling! 

Super Contributor

Thank you novamc!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been thinking about this recipe ever since this thread started and after reading @novamc1's post, I am sure it would work.  Not sure about the temp and timing; doesn't seem to matter!

BROWN SUGAR BACON ROASTED SWEET POTATOES Butternut Squash

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1″ cubes (I like them smaller)
5 strips of bacon, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar + more for sprinkling

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.

In large bowl add your sweet potatoes and olive oil and toss to coat.

Add in your bacon and brown sugar and again toss to coat and distribute your bacon.

Lay your ingredients on the baking sheet.

Roast in oven for about 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.

I am going to try it!  The sweet potatoes are delish!

Esteemed Contributor

This was in our Publix ad this week......

Image1.jpg

Glazed Butternut Squash Hasselback

Ingredients:

2 large butternut squash halves (about 2 lb)
1/2 cup water
2 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Steps:

1. Cut 1/2 inch off the top and bottom of squash halves. Remove and discard seeds from squash halves, then place cut-side-down in 9-inch square microwave-safe dish. Pour water over squash; cover and microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes. Uncover carefully and let stand 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
  2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Chop thyme (1/2 teaspoon); whisk with remaining ingredients until glaze is blended.
  3. Transfer squash to cutting board and peel. Cut most of the way through each squash (with a serrated knife) at 1/4-inch intervals (about 20–30 cuts), leaving 1/4 inch intact.
  4. Place squash in baking dish. Brush glaze over top and in between cuts. Bake 20–25 minutes or until fork-tender and glaze caramelizes. Brush with any remaining glaze; serve.

Note: If using whole squash, cut in half lengthwise, then scoop out and discard seeds before beginning recipe.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills

Thanks.  I get that ad and  have saved  the recipe.......It's sitting on my kitchen counter right now.i

Don't need a huge whole squash, but the recipe sure looks good.

That whole "hasselback" stye of roasting  seems  very much in fashion right now.