Super Contributor

Re: Want to share this for recipe collectors

Well that is an excellent idea Qualitygal!! I really need to do something with all of my handwritten recipes and also my mothers . My mother passed away last year at the age of 85 and just a few months ago her estate was settled. I always loved cooking and was the only one of 4 girls in our family that did. Besides other things, I received a beautiful leather bound box with a key and latch. When I opened it up, I was so surprised and happy to see all of my mother's recipes on cards that she had written down over the years. Some of the recipes I had quite forgotten about, but seeing them again in her handwriting brought forth a floodgate of tears. I think more than anything, just seeing her handwriting was what brought about the tears.

This idea would be wonderful as I could start the book with her recipe's, then start filling it up with mine and continue to add as I get new ones. I know our only daughter would love having this someday.

I now know what I will start doing come January 2015. You have motivated me.

Thanks so much

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/23/2014 snickster said:

Qualitygal and Schultz; both excellent ideas. I plan to make personalized favorites recipe books for my daughters this Winter (something to keep me busy till Spring, lol). I plan to decorate 3" loose leaf binders, then use the top load Avery clear filler pages. They have the holes already in them, so can easily be popped out of the binder for use and wiped off, if needed. I will also be adding to my own binder additional recipes I have collected since receiving my original binder from my sis-in-law several years ago.

snockster,

About 15 years ago in the midst of an extremely lean Christmas due DH's Silicon Valley lay-off, I decided to type up all of the important and treasured recipes and save them in Word. I printed them off and placed 2 recipes in each "sheet protector," so that one would face up and if you turned it over, another recipe presented itself. The sections were Appetizers, Salads, Side Dishes, Entres, Muffins & Breads, Cookies, Cakes, Christmas, and Misc. I ended up having to purchase a 4" binder, so the content ended up being huge. A few years later that computer's hard drive died, so I asked my DD to Christmas gift me with a copy of that binder, which she did. I love having my own creation and use it all the time.

Note: When I typed up the recipes, I made a personal note at the top of nearly all of the pages like the following for Russian Wilted Cabbage: "Papoo brought this recipe from memory when he fled Russia during the Russian Revolution. Every family had such a recipe, though it varied slightly with each family. When I worked for _____________, it was always the first dish to disappear during our potlucks, organized to let us enjoy the multicultural nature of our staff."

If I ever lost that precious green binder I think I'd faint!!!

Honored Contributor

sfnative,

I love what you have done too. I also had my grandmother's and mother's recipes in a cookbook. I need to pull those and laminate those. But I love the comments you make so that down the road, future generations will have this bit of history first hand. I've said this before, there's been plenty of women who have said, "I wish I still had her recipe". Could have been a mom or grandmother, so cherish those and do what you can to safely keep them. I'm sure going to try to.

Honored Contributor

After my Mom passed I had her recipes she made for years. Made me decide to write in my cookbooks "Made Christmas Eve 1999", etc. It's neat to look back and see how long I've been making certain foods and also maybe some day my family will find it interesting. I find it interesting now when I look at a recipe and see I've been making it for XX number of years or for certain special occasions.

Honored Contributor

On 12/23/2014 Daysdee said:

After my Mom passed I had her recipes she made for years and I was curious how long she made them. Made me decide to write in my cookbooks "Made Christmas Eve 1999", etc. It's neat to look back and see how long I've been making certain foods and also maybe some day my family will find it interesting. I find it interesting now when I look at a recipe and see I've been making it for XX number of years or for certain special occasions.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/23/2014 vickisok said:

Well that is an excellent idea Qualitygal!! I really need to do something with all of my handwritten recipes and also my mothers . My mother passed away last year at the age of 85 and just a few months ago her estate was settled. I always loved cooking and was the only one of 4 girls in our family that did. Besides other things, I received a beautiful leather bound box with a key and latch. When I opened it up, I was so surprised and happy to see all of my mother's recipes on cards that she had written down over the years. Some of the recipes I had quite forgotten about, but seeing them again in her handwriting brought forth a floodgate of tears. I think more than anything, just seeing her handwriting was what brought about the tears.

This idea would be wonderful as I could start the book with her recipe's, then start filling it up with mine and continue to add as I get new ones. I know our only daughter would love having this someday.

I now know what I will start doing come January 2015. You have motivated me.

Thanks so much

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I also have my grandmother's and mother's handwritten recipes. My plan is to scan them along with pictures of them. I am going to make a Snapfish book with them and send them to a few close relatives.

It will make it more permanent and I can be part of it.

Honored Contributor

This is such an inspiring thread. I can't wait now to get started. Still a lot of recipes to look through, then I'll begin. Incorporating some ideas from you ladies in my "book" too. Thank you all so much.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

You all have wonderful ideas and things going on or in the makes!