Honored Contributor

It suddenly occurred to me I haven't made a good pasta salad in about a hundred years.  

With something like this, recipes allow for a lot of improvisation depending on ingredients available and personal preferences.

So ..... 

What are some of your favorite pasta salad ingredients?

Do you always use mayo .... or some other dressings?   

Are you making a pasta salad any time soon?   

TIA Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT'S IN YOUR PASTA SALAD?

@Tinkrbl44  My DIL made a delicious pasta salad for her daughter's confirmation. She used cheese tortellini, her homemade Italian dressing, fresh basil and feta cheese crumbles at the last minute. Of course, she also had halved grape tomatoes and pepperoni. I want to get her exact recipe for the next time I need to make pasta salad. It was delicious!

Super Contributor

I use mayo. Plus i add chopped dill pickles, chopped sweet pickles, hard boiled eggs, onion and sliced olives. I also add a small amount of mustard.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   I sometimes make pasta salad with pepperoni, sharp cheddar chunks, olives, banana peppers, and Italian dressing. And I use the spiral tricolored pasta.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat pasta anymore, but I do make a chopped veggies salad now and then from a mix of celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, Kalamata olives, sometimes a little cheese, sometimes a little salami or pepperoni, then dress it in either Italian or Balsamic dressing.  You could use this as a base and add some rotini pasta.  It would require more salad dressing though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

It suddenly occurred to me I haven't made a good pasta salad in about a hundred years.  

With something like this, recipes allow for a lot of improvisation depending on ingredients available and personal preferences.

So ..... 

What are some of your favorite pasta salad ingredients?

Do you always use mayo .... or some other dressings?   

Are you making a pasta salad any time soon?   

TIA Woman Happy

@Tinkrbl44   I make pesto for my pasta salad and add whatever you like.

I only use mayo for a macaroni salad.

Honored Contributor

We would make it with Giardiniera chopped, finely diced celery, some bell pepper diced, cherry tomatoes, a little onion, maybe a few white cheese diced cubes, black olives, and a dressing of oil and vinegar, Italian herbs, a little garlic, a bit of dijon mustard and salt and fresh ground pepper.  And if in season, a good spinkle of finely diced fresh herbs.

No mayo. 

Honored Contributor

Celery, hard boiled eggs chopped, mayo with a small amount of miracle whip.  Or I will use either tuna or small shrimp instead of the eggs.

Respected Contributor

Combo of elbows and shells, chopped eggs, cheddar cheese, onions, crab, shrimp with Marzetti sweet/sour dressing.

Honored Contributor

I make it like my potatoe salad.  I use medium elbows.  Best food mayo with  half teas mustard and dash powered hidden valley dressing

rough chopped eggs, 

tablespoon diced dill pockle

halfed black olive

the following I use little. I add some , toss in look for color and if it is enough

Small amtminced celery

Small amt minced red onion

Small amt fine sliced green onion for color

additions I sometimes use

small amount course grated sharp chees

fine slice crisp turkey bacon

peas