Honored Contributor

Vintage recipe site reminds me to ask this question

I love things like this and plan to peruse it when I have time.  I have plenty of old cookbooks and one technique has always stopped me from making something.  When eggs are used, they instruct you to beat the egg whites until frothy, then add them separately from the yolks. Is it OK to just add the eggs whole?  This always stops me dead in my tracks for some reason. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Vintage recipe site reminds me to ask this question

I’m sure someone here will know the exact explanation, but the consistency would likely be different if you didn’t follow the directions. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I love things like this and plan to peruse it when I have time.  I have plenty of old cookbooks and one technique has always stopped me from making something.  When eggs are used, they instruct you to beat the egg whites until frothy, then add them separately from the yolks. Is it OK to just add the eggs whole?  This always stops me dead in my tracks for some reason. 

@depglass  NO it is not ok.  The egg yolks enrich a mixture like a custard and beaten whites add lift.  You have to do these 2 steps separately and carefully or it won't work out.  Usually the yolks go into a custard or batter base, then the beaten egg whites are carefully folded into the mixture (usually carefully stir about a third of the beaten whites into the other mixture to lighten it, THEN fold in the whites).

Honored Contributor

It will not give you the same end product.
When you beat the egg whites to "stiff" peaks and then add the yokes it gives the cake a much lighter consistency.

@depglass wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Wow.  Fastest answers I've ever gotten.  So I'm going to trot out the Kitchen Aid (its really just sitting on the counter) and whip me up some egg whites.  Thanks !

Honored Contributor

Also, beating egg whites in a metal bowl gives higher volume.  Frothy still has air bubbles.

One speck of yellow in the white will keep it from whipping high because it's a fat.